• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changing lower and/or upper control arms

xray1971

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ. New 2" budget lift. In the shop now for ball joints and alignment. I would like to install new stock control arms (that have new bushings) in the next few weeks. Would I require another alignment after installing new stock LCA's and possibly new UCA's?

I'd use WJ lower control arms if you don't want to go aftermarket.

no if your replacing them with stock arms and there was no change in the castor alignment shoe in the lower control arm mount.

control arms adjust caster, which is concidered fixed unless the shop knows how to shim the lower control arm mounts. most alignment shops take a caster measurement but will only adjust toe(tierod adjustment) if it is out of spec.

i hate to say it but an alignment on a stock xj is kind of a rip off unless you get a lifetime warranty when the only thing they do adjust toe. if soemthing is worn such as a TRE then they still charge you the alignment fee along with the fee to fix the tie rod.

not to say i have never paid for an alignment, but once i learned how to adjust toe with a tape measure, i will never go back.

Thank you very much I appreciate your help!
I have to make another post.. been having steering probs. (acts like in 4 wheel on dry pavement making sharp turns for past week or so).

They're a little tricky to check. Try to get a good look at them, see if there's any rust visible at the seam where the cross enters the cap, or try to move the cross at various wheel positions. What I've found in many years of dealing with things like this is if you're not sure, and if it's not horribly expensive, just for peace of mind, replace it. Much more than ten years or 100k miles, it's probably due anyway.

Do control arms have to be replaced in pairs, or can I replace one at a time?
Unless one has been damaged, they should wear evenly and be replaced in pairs.
When you actually change them, removed and replaced them one at a time to make the bolting up process easier. Since I usually work by myself, a come-a-along is useful in getting the CAs pulled into place so the bolts can be replaced.

Cool thank you. I don't have a come along, what do you think of this method:

http://www.myjeepxj.com/index.php?page=lower-control-arms

January 22, 2009, 10:12 am - Andy I am sure you can do it many ways but the way I did it was to put a jack stand behind the lower control arm mount so the whole front suspension hangs off the ground. You can see where I put it in the first picture. Then if needed you can put your jack under your axle to move it around.

It shouldn't be too hard. I just did a lift kit on someone elses jeep and it wen't quicker then it did on my jeep for some reason. All you need is one extra person to help move the axle around while you bolt it back up.

Back