• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My recipe for for not over heating

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
I did this complete set up the other day and my needle has not gone over 210 or near close to it in the last week and the weather here is about in the triple digits. I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone having cooling problems with about $215 cash to spend total.

1. Proaliance Copper/Brass HEAT BUSTER Radiator $168
www.rockauto.com

2. 1997 ZJ with 4.0 and NON-MAX COOLING fan clutch $35
AutoZone

3. Balanced Thermostat by Mr. Gasket 195 degree's $12
Autozone

I did this swap last week and my rig runs like a champ. I don't mind the extra noise from the fan clutch and the radiator is amazing. Also, don't forget to replace your hoses and radiator cap, as well as flush your coolant system and use new coolant.

Good Luck!

I just did the Turbo City High flow thermostat housing and the Mr. Gasket 195* thermostat. As long as I'm driving faster than 30+mph the vehicle stays roughly at 200+/-5.

Isn't the correct temperature 210? If it's less than that, it may cause extra wear or fuel consumption

Stock thermostat is 195*.

Aux fan activation temp is 210*.

Took the Jeep out for a test run this weekend and it overheated twice while climbing out of a canyon. i like the recipe.. i dont see a Fan+Fan clutch on Autozone's site for 35$.. I do see the fan Clutch for 39.99.. Am i missing something? My jeep doesnt have the OEM fan but does have two electric fans about AUX size with some cheesy dial for a fan controller. not sure what to do at this point.. any input would be helpful.

You would re-use your factory fan and use the new ZJ fan clutch, if you had your factory fan that is.

It sounds like you have a nice set up for fans as it is, try swapping radiators and getting a balanced thermo.

The clutch is what he was referring to, if you don't have a mech fan anymore, you will need to either get one and then attach it to the new clutch or just buy better electric fans. The Taurus 3.0 V6 fan is supposed to be pretty high cfm.

Got it.. The Radiator is a single row and looks like its been replaced and in good condition along with coolant mix. I'm going to flush it anyway, put in that Mr gasket Thermostat and take a close look at the fans to see if they are a decent brand.. It has been fine under normal driving conditions but when loaded with gear and passengers, it didnt like those long, slow, hot, pulls up the hills.. thanks for the info.

i have the GDI and closed cooling system. no overheating, but the radaitor needs to be kept clean, its very sensitive to external dirt between the cores.

There are alot of qrite-ups of guys putting 15-16" fans on the radiator using the stock fan shroud which netted them great CFM air flow and kept everything cool.

My recipe has always been stock stuff thats in good shape? Keeps my stroker cool no matter what the temps.

Back