• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UpCountry Package Axles

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks,
I have a 97' XJ with the Upcountry Package. I am interested to know if anyone can confirm some things about the axles. I know I have a D35 rear, but I heard that it came with an LSD from the factory because of the upcountry package. Can anyone confirm this? Also does anyone know what gearing it would have. I'm assuming 3.07:

Hey folks,
I have a 97' XJ with the Upcountry Package. I am interested to know if anyone can confirm some things about the axles. I know I have a D35 rear, but I heard that it came with an LSD from the factory because of the upcountry package. Can anyone confirm this? Also does anyone know what gearing it would have. I'm assuming 3.07:

If you have Up Country then you should have LSD as that was part of the package. If you have manual transmission it's 3.07's and if it's automatic it's 3.55's.

To verify if you have an LSD: jack up the rear (both tires off the ground), make sure you're in neutral and then spin one tire: if the other tire goes in the same direction you have LSD.

Thank you very much :) .

Since your in socal, you wouldn't happen to know any good local shops where I can take my heep to get the axles regeared. I'm out in Pasadena.

Thank you very much :) .

Since your in socal, you wouldn't happen to know any good local shops where I can take my heep to get the axles regeared. I'm out in Pasadena.

Pm Clean RC. He does regears and he does them right. Btw, since you have a D35, consider going up to a D44 or a 29 spline 8.25 as upgrading the D35 is well.... polishing something something that you normally would want to flush ;)

I was considering upgrading to a D44. But I know its quite pricey. Since I already have an LSD and I don't plan on going any bigger than the 31's and 3.5" lift I have I figure a D35 will do. I've also heard some people wheel 33's on D35's with no problems

Yes... some folks wheel with D35 on 33's and break nothing.... quite a few wheel with D35 on smaller tires (I actually saw someone break a shaft on 235's..... nothing stupid, just well... it happened) and..... well, look at this picture and make sure you can put something like this together when you go wheeling
detail_140_5060.jpg

Look at it this way: all it takes is one break to make your day turn real bad.

There are very very few parts that I recommend for folks to upgrade as a must if they want to go wheel, and the D35 is one of those parts. You can get a D44 for anywhere between $150 and $350 ($150 if you go hit junkyards yourself... $350 or so if you buy it off someone). Either way you look at it that'll be the best $ you've ever spent.

Also regarding your LSD.... how many miles on that axle? Has the fluid been changed regularly? And if so, has the friction modifier additive been added? Fact that you have an LSD, that two wheels spin in the same direction when the axle is lifted and you turn one tire, does not mean that it does not need a rebuild or replacemnt. Those clutches do wear out..... and then... you no longer have an LSD.

I was considering upgrading to a D44. But I know its quite pricey. Since I already have an LSD and I don't plan on going any bigger than the 31's and 3.5" lift I have I figure a D35 will do. I've also heard some people wheel 33's on D35's with no problems

assuming your going from 3.07 to 4:10 would require a new carrier so the lsd you have wont work.

do you have a manual or auto trans?

First off, its not really worth the money to re-gear if you are staying with 31" tires..

second, Without being rude. You are Blatanly waisting money on re-gearing a dana 35, as it costs atleast $500 per axle to re-gear (thats WITH a good hookup)

I strongly suggest a 29sp 8.25 as they are super easy to find. and alot stronger!

First off, its not really worth the money to re-gear if you are staying with 31" tires..

second, Without being rude. You are Blatanly waisting money on re-gearing a dana 35, as it costs atleast $500 per axle to re-gear (thats WITH a good hookup)

I strongly suggest a 29sp 8.25 as they are super easy to find. and alot stronger!

Funny, I bought ring and pinion gears, and the larger carriers, to change from 3.07 to 3.73 for my D30 and D35, from a NAXJA member in AZ and on eBay, both sets used, for under $150 including the shipping, and it cost less than that to install them, but I guess it helps when you can do it yourself.

That said, I would agree that the OP would be better off to locate an 8.25 (cheapest) or Ford Explorer 8.8, although the Ford would cost more to install.

I don't agree there is no benefit to regearing when running 31s.

I don't agree there is no benefit to regearing when running 31s.

I'm running 30s and I want to regear.

Granted, it's not the first mod I'd do, but if you're going to screw around putting in another axle anyway (which I agree, you should seriously consider - everyone says they just want 31s and a couple inches of lift, and guess what - you'll be back in a year asking whether to go 4.5" or 5.5" for your new 33s), you might as well go with lower gears if you can swing the cash to regear the front.

i regeared a dana35 when i went to 31's. 5spd, stock gears and 31's sucked. dont regret it one single bit, but if i were to do it again i would do an 8.8 swap. at the time i wasnt ready to do the swap, now i would be. not everyone has the means to do the swap. things change over time and become more feasible down the road. its real easy to tell someone to just swap in an 8.8 or go junkyard hunting for for an 8.25 because you did.

crap, i just told someone its a rip off to get an alignment.

Back