• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking?

AirForce_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok Guys, This is how it happens. When Taking off from a dead stop, I have a clunk sound (possibly front drive shaft), only happens when i take off and then one more clunk when I shift from 1st to 2nd. Shifting in all other gears...no sound. I got under the heep and played with the fronst driveshaft to make sure bolts were tight, they are. With the tranny in gear and, Tcase in 2wd, i have a good bit of play (spins about 3/4 of in inch) in the front Drive shaft. Could this be it and what is the fix?:dunno:

I have very close to the same problem. I have a 1990 with the AX15 with the Vac disconnect and I think it has a leak. This leak may be allowing the shift fork to move the collar and momentarily engage the front right axle. I plan on doing the posi lock conversion or swap in a non-vac axle.

I don't know if this is close to what you have or not but could be a possibility.

3/4" is a lot of movement, makes me wonder how much backlash there is.

Have you checked your motor and trans mounts?

I have very close to the same problem. I have a 1990 with the AX15 with the Vac disconnect and I think it has a leak. This leak may be allowing the shift fork to move the collar and momentarily engage the front right axle. I plan on doing the posi lock conversion or swap in a non-vac axle.

I don't know if this is close to what you have or not but could be a possibility.

A vacuum leak/poor vacuum/failing motor could prevent the shift fork from fully engaging/disengaging the collar.

From the FSM 1990:

Raise and support the vehicle. Disconnect the vacuum harness from the axle shift motor and connect a vacuum pump to the vacuum shift motor front port.

Apply 15 in. Hg of vacuum to the front port and rotate the right front wheel to fully disengage the outer and intermediate axle shafts (i.e., shift to two-wheel drive operation).

The shift motor should maintain the vacuum applied to the front port for a minimum of 30 seconds. If the motor does not maintain the vacuum, replace it. If the motor maintains the vacuum proceed to the next step.

Disconnect the vacuum pump from the vacuum shift motor front port. Connect the vacuum pump to the vacuum shift motor rear port, cap the port for the indicator lamp switch, and apply 15 in. Hg of vacuum to the rear port.

The shift motor should maintain the vacuum applied to the rear port for a minimum of 30 seconds. If the shift motor does not maintain the vacuum, replace it. It the motor does maintain the vacuum proceed to the next step.

Remove the cap from the port for the indicator lamp switch and determine if vacuum was present at this port. If vacuum was present, the shift motor functions normally. If vacuum was not present, proceed to the next step.

Apply 15 in. Hg vacuum to the rear port of the shift motor. Rotate the right front wheel as necessary and ensure that the outer and intermediate axle shafts are completely engaged. The axles must be completely engaged (i.e., shifted to four wheel drive operation) to open the port for the indicator lamp switch.

Determine if vacuum is present at the port for the indicator lamp switch again. If vacuum was present at the port, the shift motor functions normally. If vacuum was not present at the port, replace the shift motor.

Ok, if at this point it still won't shift correctly you may have a worn shift fork. OEM and replacements are cast and will wear. Posi-Lok 4x4 makes a cast iron fork, about $55.

what year? need to know because if you dont have the vacuum disconnect, 3/4" is to much play at the ring and pinion.

if you have the vacuum disconnect it should spin freely in 2wd, no vacuum disconnect, then i would think something is wrong with the ring and pinion or the side gears.

what year? need to know because if you dont have the vacuum disconnect, 3/4" is to much play at the ring and pinion.

if you have the vacuum disconnect it should spin freely in 2wd, no vacuum disconnect, then i would think something is wrong with the ring and pinion or the side gears.

Its an 89, non vac-disco. So i should probably check my R&P and the gearing in the front diff.

Could be the track bar too. You might be surprised how a bad track bar can rock the whole jeep in high torque situations like first and second gears and you will definitely hear a clunking sound coming from the front end too.

Something easy to check anyway:)

Back