• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Plug Wires

mgt

NAXJA Member #653
can't get the boots off the plugs I have the "special" boot pullers but the are on so damm tight

Re: removing plug wires

is this in modified tech because your using wires or plugs that arnt stock? JK

try twisting the boots about 1/4-1/2 turn, dont turn too much as you might damage the wire connection in boot.

is this on a cool or hot engine? might come off easier on a warm engine

engine is cold and i tried to twist them . I dont care if i damage the wires plan to get new ones

engine is cold and i tried to twist them . I dont care if i damage the wires plan to get new ones

then rip them the fawk off or cut the boot with a knife and leave the connector on and remove the spark plug with the wiring connector on it.

be sure to use the grease that comes with the new wires.

Those plug wire pliers can come in handy, I have a pair myself.

Grip the boot as close down to the body of the plug as you can, then twist it about 1/4-turn each way. Then pull.

Even if you're planning to replace the wires, you won't be able to get a socket on the plugs if you leave the boot on there.

And, as mentioned, used some dielectric grease (may come with the new wire kit, else you can buy a small tube) around the plug body when you put the new wires on. If I find it necessary to use, I'll put a small bead around the plug porcelain about 1/4" down from the metal nipple where the wire connects - the boot will smear it the rest of the way down.

You want a tool that pulls on the engine end of the boot. If you pull on the engine end, it gets tighter. If you pull on the other end it expands. Think of a "Chinese finger trap." The tool usually looks like a bent piece of metal with a notch on the short leg and a handle on the long leg. You fit the notch around the spark plug's ceramic and pull. If it stlll won't come off, just slit the boot up the side and get new ones.

Next time, if you want to save your wires, use something to break the seal between the plug and boot.

A bent paper clip will work or a hook/scribe with a 90 degree bend.

And, as mentioned, used some dielectric grease (may come with the new wire kit, else you can buy a small tube) around the plug body when you put the new wires on. If I find it necessary to use, I'll put a small bead around the plug porcelain about 1/4" down from the metal nipple where the wire connects - the boot will smear it the rest of the way down.

Small tube, the heck with that, get the big toothpaste sized tube, I use it everywhere.
Same with anti-seize, no more tubes for me, I just buy the big bottle with the screw off lid and brush. And I only use the copper based antiseize now.
Did my radiator yesterday. 3 years ago I had it apart for the new engine, it was battle getting some of the bolts off back then, I reassembled with the copper stuff and everything came off with no effort, no broken capture nuts, no broken studs on the top of the radiator, no stripped torx.

Small tube, the heck with that, get the big toothpaste sized tube, I use it everywhere.
Same with anti-seize, no more tubes for me, I just buy the big bottle with the screw off lid and brush. And I only use the copper based antiseize now.
Did my radiator yesterday. 3 years ago I had it apart for the new engine, it was battle getting some of the bolts off back then, I reassembled with the copper stuff and everything came off with no effort, no broken capture nuts, no broken studs on the top of the radiator, no stripped torx.

must be a PA thing, my 89 is painted with anti-seize. i dont put any bolt/nut in anymore without it.

must be a PA thing, my 89 is painted with anti-seize. i dont put any bolt/nut in anymore without it.

I'll be able to recycle mine just for the copper in the anti-seize LOL..

Back