• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99XJ driver seat slider-mount stud locations don't match to manual ZJ seat locations

MikeESoc2

NAXJA Forum User
Have a '99XJ with drivers manual-seat broken front-left seat-support bracket (and no, don't know where the piece of broken-off bracket is). I've read on naxja (in more than 1 postings) that ZJ and WJ front seats bolt right into the late-90's XJs.
Then again... maybe not (in terms of the ZJ/WJ into XJ swap) ... can anyone clear that info up.
Here's my info:
I unbolted the broken '99 driver's seat from it's manual slider and measured the top of the manual slider stud-center to stud-center the following length and width (for the seat-mount holes): front-to-rear is 14", and, left-to-right is 10 3/4".
Next I went to 2 local salvage yards. First there was a '93 ZJ with manual front seats - BUT, when I wedged under the '93 ZJ drivers seat (with the seat mounted in the vehicle) I measured approximately 11"+ for the front-to-rear seat-mount holes (on the tranmission-side of the seat). Uh-oh... that's a red light for a ZJ drivers seat into XJ direct bolt-in replacement.
So I went to the 2nd salvage yard and measaured under a '98ZJ drivers manual seat and found the same result - approximately 11" for the front-to-read seat-mount holes (on the transmission-side of the seat).
I also measured both ZJ's for the floor-pan bracket mount holes (thinking that maybe the "ZJ/WJ front seats bolt right into the late-90's XJ" thing was for bolting the ZJ/WJ manual seats+sliders into the XJ floor pan.
But ... the ZJ manual driver's seat floor-bracket mount holes are front (left-to-right) 9 1/2" and the rear (left to right) 11 1/8" and front-to-rear 15"... and the '99XJ manual driver's seat rear floor-bracket mount (left to right) is something like approximately 13".
So (as I mentioned above) ... can anyone clear-up the ZJ/WJ front seats bolt into late-90's XJ front-seat locations info... thanks.

The seats from either a ZJ or an XJ will bolt directly onto either base. However, the bases mount to the chassis differently, so only the seats, and not the bases, are interchangeable.

The holes on the XJ seat, center to center, measure 13 7/8" F/R, and 10 15/16" L/R, and each hole is 15/32" in diameter. The ZJ seats measure the same. The studs on the ZJ bases measure 13 15/16" F/R, and 10 15/16" L/R. The studs are 1/4" in diameter, so there's plenty of wiggle room.

Thanks for that answer...
... I must have mis-measured when I wedged the measuring tape under those ZJ seats in the local salvage yards (but I could have sworn that I measured as accurate as possible... nut to nut).

Anyway... I am now using http://car-part.com/ to search for ZJ front manual seats... last week the guy from StorksAuto in Pennsylvania told me that ZJ front seats are stronger than the late-90's XJ seats... and from what I see, it does not make sense to replace a prone-to-break OE XJ drivers seat with another prone-to-break OE XJ drivers seat.

Those front seats in the both the '93 ZJ and '98 ZJ that are in the local salvage yards are hard (to the touch) ... probably a sign that the foam is starting to deteriorate (or will soon) ... probably from the windows being opened to rain and snow for many months outside.

Anyone have any suggestions for finding used manual ZJ seats... besides Storks or car-part.com or the few local salvage yards... someplace that I can 1-way drive to within a couple of hours... I live in the New Jersey area... in Staten Island.

I'm looking for manual ZJ seats because this 4-door '99XJ has OE manual reclining seats and it's necessary that the replacement seats recline.

FWIW, if you want to put in power seats, it's a two-wire job. The recline/lumbar mechanisms are contained in the seat, while the power sliding, and seat base adjustments are part of the ZJ bases. I retained my OE manual sliders, and use the power recline and lumbar of the ZJ seats- much comfier than the busted frame I'd been sitting on for a few years. One ground, one fused power, switches are incorporated in the side bolsters. Couldn't be much simpler.

I found my seats in the local chapter for sale forum on here, and I watch several Jeep forums for parts. Craigslist, ebay, etc are other options, although most of what I found on ebay was Stork's overpriced garbage.

Here's towards the last chapter of this story:

Got lucky and found a pair of hardly-used (believe it or not) manual solid-grey color cloth front seats from a '94 ZJ in a salvage yard in New Jersey on the way to work on Friday morning.

I say "got lucky" for 3 reasons: it's amazing that these '94 ZJ front seats have hardly any wear on them (my 1st double-guess is that the prior owner was small frame ... unlike myself... and the prior owner may have garaged the vehicle ... but don't know that ZJ's mileage); and the vehicle while in the salvage yard had it's windows up (possibly the most important factor is that the seats weren't getting rained on in the salvage yard); and they were $75 each (really nice from what I have seen in a # of salvage yards).

The ZJ manual drivers seat slid right onto the '99 XJ drivers manual slider studs and tightened-down easily... I'm waiting for my son to clear-out his junk from the rest of the '99 XJ interior before replacing the passenger front with the ZJ passenger front (to match both front seats).

1 last detail:
turns out that last weekend in the other salvage yards the reason I orginally approximated 11 inches front-to-back nut-to-nut under the '93 + '98 ZJ manual front drivers seats (transmission-side of the seat) is because the ZJ manual front seat bases have 2 different sets of stud hole locations (front-to-back) for mounting to the OE manual slider... and it is the more-forward stud hole on the ZJ seat base (that is not used on the manual ZJ slider) that lines-up perfect (~ 14" front-to-back with the rear hole) for the '99XJ manual slider.

Again... thanks for the detailed feedback in the prior postings for this string ... it is appreciated.

Back