• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Lift Blocks

SpartyKrunk

Im better than you
Are they a bad idea?:helpme:Because I have 4" steel blocks in the rear. That's how my XJ came like when I got it. I've been wanting to get rid of them but I haven't been in such a rush, I didn't know they were bad.:( If somebody could fill me in with some pros and cons. It's my DD yet I take it to the trails almost every weekend. I'll admit, blocks don't absorb ruts like I would like them to. And can somebody show me a proper rear setup? I'm kinda short on money, so i'd like to do it myself.

Bad bad bad. They act as a huge lever on your springs. Shorten their life, weaken and sag them, and will de-arch them very quickly. Especially at 4".

Search around a little more too there are about 2347567 threads on this already.

x2, bad,bad,bad! I'm around six inches up with only leafs and shackles

4" blocks

that is TERRIBLE on an xj

ditch them before you do any damage to your springs or t-case

4" is too much on a stock spring. any block on a stock spring is not good.

to run a block, you need a firmer/stiffer spring then stock.

on an aftermarket lift spring, blocks are ok, but not on stock springs.

with a 4" block, if you got the rear tires hung up on something and then grabbed, you could get some serious axle wrap causing damage to the spring or snapping driving shaft ujoints.

blocksrbad.jpg

photobucket dot com / blah blah blah / Blocks R Bad . jpeg

Robert

oh snap. ok. that has it. blocks are off. hahaha (nervous laugh) thanks guys. thanks alot.

So what is a proper rear lift supposed to look like? :dunno:

Leaf spring packs with a different arch and/or spring rate are the best way to go about it.

Blocks are an awesome way to damage a spring - either by causing it to lose arch, or, as the example above shows, break.

Thank you so much. Doesnt seem as complicated as I thought it would be. But, would I still keep my same height? I'm sitting on 12" of lift. Is that possible with add-a-leaf?:compwork:

4" is too much on a stock spring. any block on a stock spring is not good.

to run a block, you need a firmer/stiffer spring then stock.

on an aftermarket lift spring, blocks are ok, but not on stock springs.

with a 4" block, if you got the rear tires hung up on something and then grabbed, you could get some serious axle wrap causing damage to the spring or snapping driving shaft ujoints.

I think you're overshooting a rather simple law of physics here. No matter what spring, what articulation or axle angle, you're excerting much more power into bending the springs how they don't want to go. In a Chrysler 8.25, your springs are directly on top of the axle, 3" high. Put in a 3" block and you just doubled that leverage that the power from your driveline has on your springs. Under any acceleration or braking, that leverage is present. Not just in abnormal or off axis situations.

your best bet would be a combination of things"

I would drop it a little to make geomety easier but...

use a high arched spring - deaver or a bastard pack with lots of re-arching
u-bolt eliminating plates can get you 2 inches back in a safer manner - TNT offroad has the hookup
shackle box relocation - I forget who offhand but they are a sponsor, this can build in a little more lift as well
longer shackles courtesy of whoever you choose, just no that stupid revolver shackles...

I guess you could always build a lower mount for the front as well, just make sure it is beefy.

You will never see me on 12" of lift because I think it is ridiculous, but If I were to design a system that big I would almost certainly go 4link and coilovers. What size tires are you running and on what axles?

There's really no reason to have an XJ lifted 12" - It almost sounds like the previous owner told you it was just to make it sound better. It's probably only lifted 8" or something....get out the tape measure and see.

There's really no reason to have an XJ lifted 12" - It almost sounds like the previous owner told you it was just to make it sound better. It's probably only lifted 8" or something....get out the tape measure and see.
What the previous owner did was install an 8" lift and added two 2" spacer. I'm defenately going to redo the who suspension. It's emberrassing really. Not to mention uncomfortable. I'm running Maxxis BigHorn 33's. I'm going to install a regular 8" lift. Any brand recomendations?

What the previous owner did was install an 8" lift and added two 2" spacer. I'm defenately going to redo the who suspension. It's emberrassing really. Not to mention uncomfortable. I'm running Maxxis BigHorn 33's. I'm going to install a regular 8" lift. Any brand recomendations?

8 inches is still too tall

So 6.5" then?

What about Rusty's XJ 8" Long travel kit?

Back