• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help!!!

96TNXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok I have this problem with my xj that I just cant figure out and would love to get some help!! Ihave a 96 with 3 inches of lift and 31s and the problem is when I hit 45 to 55 on the road the jeep will shake violently which will cause me to have to speed up or slow down. Ive have been working on this for about 4 monthes and I dont know what it is. So far I have replaced the steering the trackbar the steering stablizer put new U joints in the axle shafts Ive had the wheels balanced 4 times and the front end has been aligend twice. I have also put new lca on it but I just dont know what else to look at!! TIA for any and all help thanks.

do you have an adjustable trackbar?

does this happen when you hit a bump or just when you get up to speed?

how old and condition are the tires and shocks?

speed related shimmy or wobble is usually a problem with the wheels/tires/alignment

I have one ball joint going bad but the shop I took it to said that it wasnt that bad and could wait the tires are toast and as far as shocks I bought them used but are in good working order. I have an adjustable trackbar but have yet to install it. I have the stock one on it right now. It happens when I get up to speed. The jeep shakes kinda sideways wicked bad!!! The tires balance fine and Ive had the front aligned twice so I just dont know. Thanks for any and all help!!

I have one ball joint going bad but the shop I took it to said that it wasnt that bad and could wait the tires are toast and as far as shocks I bought them used but are in good working order. I have an adjustable trackbar but have yet to install it. I have the stock one on it right now. It happens when I get up to speed. The jeep shakes kinda sideways wicked bad!!! The tires balance fine and Ive had the front aligned twice so I just dont know. Thanks for any and all help!!

have you tried swapping the back tires with the front tires?

ball joint going bad? if its bad or going bad(which i dont understand) can cause a shimmy or shake.

bad tires, old trackbar with axle not centered, with possible bad ball joint are all possible reason for the shimmy/shake.

the tires were a little ruff when I got them and it never did it. I talked to one guy on the phone on here and he said for me to try my adju track bar because Im running the stock one at 3 inches of lift but Im also going to take it over to a friends house tonight and he said he would help me fine it. and ya I swapped them with no luck

going bad= very little movement or signs of wear starting

bad= very loose not tight at all sloppy

not trying to be a smart@ss just thats what I look at if that helps you understand the wear issue on it

right but very little to me = put off till I have the $ to do it (im in collage and am a manager at a local Burger King)= low funds
Well, it has nothing to do with you having the money to fix it or not. The fact is it could be the source of your problem. You ask for suggestions on how to fix your problem and KNOW that you have a bad part and DONT have the money to fix it - I don't think theres much else to do than wait until its fixed then if the problem is still apparent then you will have to go further.

correct me if I'm wrong, but death wobble and wheel shimmy are two separate things (maybe due to similar causes). From my understanding, wheel shimmy is when you can actually see the shaking in the steering wheel, death wobble is when the entire body of the jeep shakes violently, but does not transmit through the steering wheel?

I myself am having what appears to be wheel shimmy from the above definition between 40 and 50 mph after installing a 6" long arm set up. I haven't had the alignment yet, so that may be part of it.

correct me if I'm wrong, but death wobble and wheel shimmy are two separate things (maybe due to similar causes). From my understanding, wheel shimmy is when you can actually see the shaking in the steering wheel, death wobble is when the entire body of the jeep shakes violently, but does not transmit through the steering wheel?

I myself am having what appears to be wheel shimmy from the above definition between 40 and 50 mph after installing a 6" long arm set up. I haven't had the alignment yet, so that may be part of it.

do the alignment yourself. with a 6" long arm you need to adjust toe and caster angle. simple with tape measure and angle finder.

ya its the Death Wobble and I wish mine was that easy!!!

dw wobble can be caused by any wear on any component in the steering, suspension, or tires/wheels.

first thing would be to put on the adjustable track bar to center the axle and if you have time, replace the ball joint. auto zone or local parts store will loan you the ball joint press.

if that doesnt take care of it, try putting on a set of wheels/tires from a friend or relative with good tires from a vehicle with the same bolt pattern.

i hate say it, but if you lift a vehicle you better plan on these types of problems.

dw wobble can be caused by any wear on any component in the steering, suspension, or tires/wheels.

first thing would be to put on the adjustable track bar to center the axle and if you have time, replace the ball joint. auto zone or local parts store will loan you the ball joint press.

if that doesnt take care of it, try putting on a set of wheels/tires from a friend or relative with good tires from a vehicle with the same bolt pattern.

i hate say it, but if you lift a vehicle you better plan on these types of problems.

hey thanks you I will try the track bar and will let you know. Im also in the process of getting new tires I have two and need two more but like I said Ill do that it just seems that latly the jeep is havin a fit and everything is messing up!!!! I only have so much money to fix all the problems. Its also my DD so I have to keep it running and I rarely have 2 days off in a row to work on a project. But thank you all for the great help and I will let you all know what it is!! Ill keep you posted Thanks again everyone

Back