• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS probs (long)

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ 4.0 etc.
Symptoms:
1. Dropping to hot idle as soon the foot is off the accelerator. Computer was able to adjust a little for the condition.
2. Lowered cold idle speed, ~1000 rpm vs. ~1200 rpm before.
3. Stutter, especially when going up hills at 70mph and above.
4. RPM’s taking big, about a second long dips at stoplights.

I changed the TPS and it cured all the conditions, but the check engine light came up. Went to AZ and had them read the codes and it came the 0122 and 0123, which is a voltage range of the TPS. I asked the guy to clear it up, but he refused and said that he needs to see a receipt first. I left and to my surprise, the check engine light was gone.
Then took the rest of the family and went to Cape Cod. It took about one and a half hours to arrive at the camp site. I had to wait for about ten minutes at the entrance of the park and the engine was running. Approximately at minute eight, the engine took two dips and then continued to work normally.
The next morning, when I started the engine, the condition #2 was back, there were also very slight attempts to resurrect #1. The other two are gone for now, but one never knows, because they were intermittent before I changed the TPS.
I just measured the voltages coming out of the sensor and they are not much different than before I changed it: 0.90V to 4.08V.
I assume that I was able to screw it up somehow or by not erasing the codes the computer just refused to acknowledge the new settings, or both…
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Boris

Back