• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inspection tips for a novice?

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,
A friend of mine is looking at a 98 4.0 231. I checked it out yesterday, and all seemed well (solid, decent price, etc..) Unfortunately, I didn't get to drive or start it since the guys were gone from the lot.

I head back to work tuesday which is when they'll be open again. So, to someone who knows nothing specific about jeeps, here is a list of what I've come up with for my friend to check:

1. Starting: start on first try? any strange sounds when starting?

2. Does idling sound consistent? any rattling, squealing, etc...

3. Does it pull to either side when driving or when braking?

4. Any wobbling or strange noises when driving around 55-60mph ( :) )

5. 4WD: Running ONLY on gravel, do Hi and Lo both work? You can tell it's working since there will be more resistance when turning.

Could anyone add or edit this list?? I've never done this before so I may have missed something very obvious. If at all possible, I'll be checking it out after work, but most likely my friend will be there around when they open at 9 since it seems like good deal, as long as it runs fine. Thanks for any help with the tips!

you have the beginning of a good list IMO

if I could add a thing or two:

-maybe you could take a small screwdriver to poke at the floorboards (esp. above the cat on the passenger's side) to check for rot

-a small magnet can be very telling of shoddy body work

-with your foot, give the top of the tires a good shove to check the joints

-never forget that any reputable dealer will be more than happy to supply you with a vehicle history report

good luck

:cheers:

Check all the shock and spring brackets, make sure that the metal/rubber there is in good condition. Check uni at base of both bumpers and make sure the lines are straight and in good, original shape. This can be very telling of a prior accident.

Thanks for the additions guys! I was able to personally check the rust condition the other day...seems really decent. One thing I didn't check was the frame rails! (duh)...don't know how I forgot that one! I sure wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow so I could just check it out again myself. I may try to get down there after work and hope he still has it.

Also look at the fluids. Tranny fluid (if automatic) should be nice and red. Put a little on your fingers and see if it smells burnt (bad). Check coolant before starting up. Look for signs of oil or rusty sludge. Check engine oil condition by pulling dipstick. If oil is nasty, no one took care of this poor vehicle. After it warms up, remove the oil fill cap and check for excessive blowby. Look at bottom of cap. White foamy residue would indicate coolant getting into the oil from bad head gasket or cracked head.

While stopped, press very firmly on brake pedal to make sure it holds steady and doesn't keep going down.

when you go to see it again, tell him in advance you will need to see it with a cold engine. Check coolant in the rad, is it gunked up. It may just need cleaning but could be signs of neglect/reasons to get a discount. Check for leaks under the car. Be mindfull of kinks in transmission cooler lines. You will wanna see the jeep as it warms up. (Oil pressure, the coolant level will rise an inch or so, but No bubbles to be seen though. The temp gauge should rise unless someones smashed off and filled the temp sender unit. It should heat up relativley quickly unless the thermostat has been removed! In which case it wont overheat until 5 minutes after you hand over the cash! Listen for any tapping, rattling or any unusual sounds whilst its idling. Take for a long test drive. Make sure you get full lock on the steering both sides when its warmed up in 2wd and 4wd and listen for axle whine or bearings. Get it up to 70 if you can and do a steady brake all the way to a stop checking for any vibrations or wobbling on the steering at ANY POINT during the decelleration process. All the time your with the car make sure the engine is on. Dont let him turn it off! You will wanna see if it overheats and this can take time. Obviously all the electrics must be checked. Seatbelts somehow have to be replaced far too often. You will wanna feel smooth gear shifts all the way with no holding or slipping. Make sure that at some point you give it some BEANS, without letting up on the gas. Do it a few times making sure you use all the gears. Jeeps cost money, big money, so do not allow enthusiam/excitement get you carried away. Take your time! Ask me how i know!

Back