• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock shock length...

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting new rear shackles on my XJ that are supposed to lift it 2" and I was going to replace the tired old rear shocks. Will the stock shock replacement extend the extra 1.5-2.0 difference ?

I'm gonna say yes. All the info I have seen says you can go as high as 3" with stock (or stock replacement in your case) shocks. However I would like someone to back me up on this, or correct me if needed.

I used stock shocks on 2" lift before. They do not allow enough drop. Short shocks defeat the purpose of the lift.

Yes techno is right......I have 2" in the rear with ranchos for 2-3" lift. I think they are actually stock lenght. If I go over big bumps the shocks "bang" because they won't allow for any droop. But that is just my opinion.

I'm using stock-length SensaTracs with 2-1/2" in the rear, but I raised the rear shock mounts the Gojeep way.

I installed stock length Monroe Gas-Matic 59323 shocks in the rear of my '96. Six months later I swapped in "stock" springs from a low mileage 2001 and gained 2~3 inches. When testing the suspension over a favorite railroad crossing one shock BROKE IN HALF! Could have been defective, OR? Replaced both rears with Sensa-Track 37027 which should give a couple extra inches of drop with the same collapsed length.

Back