• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reconnecting Ext. Trans Cooler and radiator

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
Its an 87 Laredo 4.0 Auto 242. My Jeep came from the factory with an external tranny cooler. And I bleieve that all Cherokees have a built in one in the radiator? Anyways, my Jeep had a front end collison, and everything is back together (structurally: fenders hood, etc.) However, im not sure what exactly im dealing with as far as little peices missing. So far, I have the ext. trans cooler mounted to the front of the radiator, no lines attached. There is the fitting (standing in front of the rig looking down under the hood) on the lower right of the radiator that takes a tranny line. Coming from the transmisison, there are two lines coming out. So with there being three fittings and two lines, does one trans line gointo the ext. cooler, one line into the radiator fitting, and one to connect the two or am i missing something?

yes, that's pretty much it, the external cooler is run in serial with the tranny cooler in the radiator. First one, then the other. Can't remember the order but as long as the lines coming from the tranny go somewhat in the right places after the collision that should tell you which goes where. And a third hose to connect the two.
Looks like I need a piece of trans fluid line then to connect the two. Is there anything special about it I need to ask at the auto parts store? Like a apressure rating or something? Do you know what size it is offhand?

I use GATES brand 3/8" transmission cooler hose. Cut the steel lines and slip the 3/8" hose over them, I use (2) 3/8" fuel injection hose clamps at each connection for added security. The FI hose clamps hold better and will not distort the rubber like worm clamps do.

Since I had a tranny cooler hose slip off a steel line once, I use a flaring tool, or even a small steel ball, to put a SMALL bulge or flare in the end of the steel line before I put the hose and clamp on. Just added security!

Looks like I need a piece of trans fluid line then to connect the two. Is there anything special about it I need to ask at the auto parts store? Like a apressure rating or something? Do you know what size it is offhand?

Wait a second......i just thought about it and I would need four fittings, not three to join everything together. It cant really work with three fittings.:dunno: is there two trans line fittings on the radiator? i would go look, but the Jeep isnt at my house.

Back