• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

extreme loss of power....

jeeperdeadhead

NAXJA Forum User
it started a couple of days ago and is getting alot worse. i step on the gas and it barley accelerates and has no power whatso ever , and the engine is very loud and noisy , especially when going up hills. i let my friend drive it , and he stepped on the gas wayy to much and it overheated and oil started leaking out of the valve i think. after that i took over and baby it.it doesn't leak anymore but it still runs and drives but the same problem. no power at all. very noisy and has trouble going up hills especailly. and helpful advice please ?

Compression test.

ok , did the compression check and everything is at normal. now that i had my other friend look at it , and drove it , it sounds like Air is just shooting out of the engine, all i can hear is AIR, and still an extreme loss of power ?

You might have a clogged catalytic converter, loss of power, overheating, all signs of this.

What did the spark plugs look like when you pulled them? What color were they? (white, tan, black, oily) How about the gap? (.035", .050") What did the compression test actually check? (PSI)

You can check for cat conv flow by hooking a vacuum gage up to the intake manifold. Steadily decreasing vacuum after start-up indicates blockage in the exhaust.

You can hook up a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold, start the engine and then slowly open the throttle. Plugged cat would back up pressure into the manifold.

Back