• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck A/C Compressor Clutch

Arkansas91XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, this isn't actually my rig, it's a friends. I haven't inspected the damage yet, but here's what I know:

1. The Jeep is broken down in a parking lot.
2. The A/C pulley is frozen.
3. They want me to fix it :roll:

Now, I'm use to my little 91 4.0, but this is a 01 4.0. I've figured the clutch is stuck, but how hard is it to change out the bearing? Are there any limp home fixes I can use to get this rig out of the parking lot, or will I have to tow it home? The thing is apparently stuck 'on' and causing quite a stir while trying to start it. Any insight would be really helpful, I haven't had to tackle any A/C problems directly so this one is a learning experience for me:D

Is the clutch just stuck allowing the compressor to turn like having the A\C on or is the compressor seized? (smoke, squeals, etc.) I am assuming that the compressor is seized because you said it is broken down. If that is the case then you would have to find a way to re-route the belt away from the compressor somehow. I don't know if they make an A\C delete pulley for an 01, but that may be an easy fix.

Back