• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump problems,..

bxj

NAXJA Forum User
In the process of modifying an older 86 XJ and have installed a 3.4 liter engine with a carburetor hooked up to a aftermarket fuel regulator on the firewall routed though OEM metal main and return lines with the stock internal electric fuel pump-I'm encountering two problems,first there seems to be little or no fuel flow with the ignition key in the run position ,only a small trickle after the vehicle is rocked or shaken slooshing the fuel tank-Second,with the fuel regulator output to the carburetor blocked and the fuel re-routed back to the fuel tank via the return line ,there is this loud rattleing sound comeing from the tank-Wondering if anyone has any advice or suggestion on a possible solution for these two problems-TIA
bxj

I just want to say that a 3.4 in an XJ will be killer. What carb are you going to use?
I could only guess at your no fuel flow problem: Clogged fuel lines/filter? bad in-tank pump? Good luck with the swap.

find the closest fuel connection from the tank and disconnect it, run 12 volts to the pump and see if gas comes out.

or just do a fuel pressure test

or pull he pump/assembly and check/inspect for a clogged sock, visual check of components.

loud rattling in tank is not normal and should be checked.

..much thanks for the suggestions and advice-I am thinking that I will be useing this Holiday weekend to start the sequence of trial and error elimination process by looking at first the possiblity of one or more of the fuel lines being bent or maybe clogged-up-The noise is really very loud comeing from the gas tank-I just replaced the electric Bosch fuel pump and was really hopeing everything would go pretty smoothly ,..but-Thanks again all for the timely assistance .
bxj

Back