• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS question

88xjlover

NAXJA Forum User
98 Grocery getter Auto.
O.K. guys (and gals, I know your out there!) I had a no start issue yesterday, the kind where all power is there but when you turn the key to start nothing happens and all power dissapears. I figured the classic Nuetral Safety Switch problem. I removed, took apart and cleaned inside with electric cleaner, applied dielectric grease and reinstalled and adjusted.
Now I have a check engine light on and it won't shift into 4th. Also, the shifter is stiffer now. Takes more effort to move. Good news, it starts no problem now!
I'm going back out this morning and reinstalling, adjusting again but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Make sure the NSS is seated properly. When I rebuilt mine I did not have it pushed all the way onto the bar and I had the issue with the stiff shifter you did.

I have a 93 so I had no CEL or anything.

98 Grocery getter Auto.
O.K. guys (and gals, I know your out there!) I had a no start issue yesterday, the kind where all power is there but when you turn the key to start nothing happens and all power dissapears. I figured the classic Nuetral Safety Switch problem. I removed, took apart and cleaned inside with electric cleaner, applied dielectric grease and reinstalled and adjusted.
Now I have a check engine light on and it won't shift into 4th. Also, the shifter is stiffer now. Takes more effort to move. Good news, it starts no problem now!
I'm going back out this morning and reinstalling, adjusting again but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

P0700 and P0705 more then likely, I am having the same problem and it has to do with the NSS, personally I would try to clean it again. I went to pull mine off to clean it and the back side has been broken for a while so I have to go pick up a new one. :mad: Some times I hate living in the Snow/Salt belt.

You realize it needs to be adjusted when you reinstall it? Easiest method is put tranny in reverse and have someone watch the backup lights while you rotate the housing . Once its centered in the range that the backup lights are on, tighte up the retaining bolt. I'm also assuming you didn't lose any parts from inside the NSS. :}

Back