• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Take on Taurus Fan Swap

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
Today, I got to looking at my extra Aux fan & my 2 speed Taurus fan. The motor assembly in the Aux fan looks to be taller and larger (around) than the motor in the Taurus fan.

I'm currently disassembling the fans to see if I can stuff the Taurus fan motor into the aux fan shroud/assembly. Ideally, I would be able to use the existing shroud and fan blade assembly with the Taurus motor. If I get it to physically fit, I'll start considering the wiring aspects.

Today, I got to looking at my extra Aux fan & my 2 speed Taurus fan. The motor assembly in the Aux fan looks to be taller and larger (around) than the motor in the Taurus fan.

I'm currently disassembling the fans to see if I can stuff the Taurus fan motor into the aux fan shroud/assembly. Ideally, I would be able to use the existing shroud and fan blade assembly with the Taurus motor. If I get it to physically fit, I'll start considering the wiring aspects.
I applaud your ingenuity but the Taurus fan motor will not turn any faster than the motor you have and therefore won't move any more air. That motor is more torquey but it will not turn faster. If you were planning to have this as your only fan, I strongly advise against it. The setup won't move enough air for the engine. If you are planning to use this in addition to the engine driven fan then it will be fine. I'm not trying to put you or your idea down by any means, but I have done extensive experimentation with the fan setup and I have learned alot about what works and what doesn't.

I applaud your ingenuity but the Taurus fan motor will not turn any faster than the motor you have and therefore won't move any more air. That motor is more torquey but it will not turn faster. If you were planning to have this as your only fan, I strongly advise against it. The setup won't move enough air for the engine. If you are planning to use this in addition to the engine driven fan then it will be fine. I'm not trying to put you or your idea down by any means, but I have done extensive experimentation with the fan setup and I have learned alot about what works and what doesn't.

He did say EXTRA e-fan, so it sounds like running the cli-taurus fan motor in the OEM style E-fan. If he can get it to work that is.

The Taurus 2 speed fan does pull more air than the aux fan. I think low is rated about 2500 to 2800 cfm and high is over 3000. I forgot the actual numbers.

I installed the 2 speed Taurus fan over 2 years ago and removed my mechanical fan. It has NEVER pegged over 200 degrees, even when I wheeled it in 100 degree weather. The aux fan only kicks in when I turn on the a/c. I always keep it on the low setting and never had to flip it to high.

John - if you installed the 2 speed Taurus fan and are still overheating, then you might have a different issue.

E

Here's where I am at. I think the fan motor assembly on the Aux fan is larger than the fan motor assembly on the Taurus fan. Basically I plan on mounting the Aux fan blades to the Taurus fan motor & then mount the fan/motor assembly into the Aux fan shroud. Physically getting it to fit doesn't seem to be an issue.

The issue that is going to be a PITA is the wiring. The Taurus fan has 3 wires. High, Low, and a common ground. The problem is that the Aux fan uses a switch on the ground side of the circuit. If I wire the ground up, I can only get either speed when the ECU decides to turn the Aux fan on.

If I can split the grounds for the high and low speeds, I figure I can wire low the to a switch inside and high to the existing Aux fan circuit.

As soon as I have some progress, I'll do a write up with pics.

Just use the ecm ground to trigger a relay to switch the hot wire to high and use your switch or a thermal switch to trigger another relay for the low side.

Curt

Just use the ecm ground to trigger a relay to switch the hot wire to high and use your switch or a thermal switch to trigger another relay for the low side.

Curt

Could the both the high and low speeds be energized at the same time?

Not sure, but you could run the power from your in cab switch through the normally closed side of the high speed relay(it would have to be double pole, double throw), then to the low speed relay. That way when the ecm calls for high speed it shuts off the low speed.

The Taurus 2 speed fan does pull more air than the aux fan. I think low is rated about 2500 to 2800 cfm and high is over 3000. I forgot the actual numbers.
He's talking about using the motor from the Taurus fan on the aux fan blades. The taurus fan pulls alot of air because the blades are like 16". The aux fan blades are like 12". The taurus fan motor would have to spin at a much higher speed to pull more air from the stock aux fan blades.

i had mentioned that idea a couple times in the last month. i tried to get an extra aux fan at the junkyard this week but every one of the 15 xjs in there had no aux fan.

for the wiring, have the stock harness trip a relay to run the aux/taurus fan.

and yes, to some extent the higher rpm of the taurus fan would draw more air than the stock aux fan. but there is a point where the fan speed is too high and performance decreases.

Could the both the high and low speeds be energized at the same time?

This would not be a good idea.
You wouldn't get any more speed, and there's a good chance you'd end up messing up the electronics of the motor... since your feeing it more power then its supposed to take at any one time.

This would not be a good idea.
You wouldn't get any more speed, and there's a good chance you'd end up messing up the electronics of the motor... since your feeing it more power then its supposed to take at any one time.

Yea, I though that way. I asked the question based on the wireing plans put out by some on this forum. One reference is when one say they will have the low speed on auto controlled by the ECU and a manual switch to run the high speed. I see the ECM turnng the fan on to low to cool the engine then the driver looks at the guage and turn on the high speed switch,... of cource the use of special relays or a relay to control the relay could be utilized.

IIRC, you have to energize both wires to get high speed, and one wire for low. Once I get it together, I'll play with a battery and the fan to see what the possibilities are.

IIRC, you have to energize both wires to get high speed, and one wire for low. Once I get it together, I'll play with a battery and the fan to see what the possibilities are.
One of the wires is for the low speed and the other is for the high speed, you'll have to play around with it a little to determine which one is which. It is best not to have both wires energized at once although it would not short it out or anything..

wrong. on wire is low, another is high and the third is ground. i would not recommend powering both wires

One of the wires is for the low speed and the other is for the high speed, you'll have to play around with it a little to determine which one is which. It is best not to have both wires energized at once although it would not short it out or anything..

yep. i have my fan hooked up with the high speed wire only. my fan controller takes care of determining how much power to send to the fan thus adjusting the actual speed of the fan.

wrong. on wire is low, another is high and the third is ground. i would not recommend powering both wires

yep. i have my fan hooked up with the high speed wire only. my fan controller takes care of determining how much power to send to the fan thus adjusting the actual speed of the fan.

What brand/type fan and controler are you using?

Back