• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The long awaited "Longfields"

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
A couple of you have these shafts but I'm not sure how many of you are running them on D-30's since they are fairly new.

Mine came in yesterday, can't wait to stuff them in!

P1010868.jpg

P1010869.jpg

P1010871.jpg

P1010872.jpg

If you want to buy a set give Bobby a call!
P1010874.jpg

Yes they are pricey but the advantages easily out weigh the cost. I'm sticking with the D-30 for the ground clearance and stock width, two things that I really like for the trails I run. I've moved the "weak link" to the R&P but I have trussed the housing and added a Ruff Stuff cover to minimize ring gear deflection. I'll let you know how everything holds up!

Advantages;
Stronger, pure and simple, and at full turn lock you loose none of the strength like you do on U-joint style shafts

If they do break(which they won't) they have a lifetime replacement warranty and they will not "pop" the knuckle when they go like U-joint shafts do.

I can carry about a 100# less spare parts
biggrin.gif
I no longer need spare shafts/knuckles/uni-bearings. If a shaft breaks(which it won't) I can just remove the broken shaft and stuff a rag in the axle tube and drive home
2thumbsup.gif

Dis-advantages;

I can't think of any, ask me in a few years! But you do have to modify the knuckles slightly to clear the dust boots.

Now to get started building those axle housings to stuff these things into. I have 4.88 gears, (Yukon front and Nitro rear), front/rear Aussie lockers, RuffStuff axle trusses, Yukon alloy rear shafts and some other "home fab" stuff to set up on my D-30/8.25 combo over the next few weeks.

Out with the 4.10's and in with 4.88's
wings.gif

It's going to go BOOM :D:twak:
Hahahaha, those are so sweet but I just can't stomach that price (especially after the conversion)
I wish I could run those... I'm slightly jealous
Maybe when I get a D60 :p

i didn't know there was anyone that made birfs for the 30. kinda cool. hopefully they work out well.

i didn't know there was anyone that made birfs for the 30. kinda cool. hopefully they work out well.

Well Bobby only builds good quality stuff and yes they are new for the 30, this might be the first set of production shafts. There are a couple of prototype/test shafts out there but they are on TJ's as far as I know.

Looks nice. I wish he would start making them for HPD44's....

do you run it with the orange cup covering the bearings and greasy parts? i'm just curios on how it keeps all the junk out.

please be sure to post up about the modding of the knuckles and if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for them?

IIRC a set is in the range of $750-$850?

Looks nice. I wish he would start making them for HPD44's....

he can't.... the older style d44 c and knuckle doesn't have enough room between the balljoints to support a decent size cv joint like that... thats why he's making them for the rubi 44's and the 30's... way more room in the inner c

Very nice!!! These will be my next shafts. (I decided to stick with the D30 for a long time)

By the time I can afford these you should have some trail time on them with a full report. ;)

ahh, gotcha. no worries, really, as I just picked up a set of CTMs for myself to go in the alloys. It would be cool if they were able to make em though. I like the design alot

do you run it with the orange cup covering the bearings and greasy parts? i'm just curios on how it keeps all the junk out.

please be sure to post up about the modding of the knuckles and if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for them?

Yes, the boot goes on as the shafts are installed, thats why I have not put them on yet. The mod to the knuckle is done with a 4 1/2 right angle grinder, the "go/no-go" gauge is included with the other tools you need for the install so you can make sure that the mod is done right and the boots will not rub.

For some.....yes! Like my neighbor and friend Matt, he has a "go/no-go" throttle switch
http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k51/hadfield4wd/Potts 5-2-09/?action=view&current=Jeep015.flv

The guy spotting is an idiot, oh wait thats me:) I trust his ability to handle his rig as you can tell!

I saw bad things coming from that. I'm not sure it would turn out that well for everyone! Busted u-joints, broken shafts, flattened YOU, to name a few of the bad things I thought were going to happen.

I saw bad things coming from that. I'm not sure it would turn out that well for everyone! Busted u-joints, broken shafts, flattened YOU, to name a few of the bad things I thought were going to happen.

Well notice I said the spotter was an idiot:laugh: but really it was more controlled than it looks.

Looked like a stupid move by the spotter to me.
Option 1: Pancake spotter...
Option 2: If driver had gotten traction right there and had to hit the brakes to avoid hitting you, then fallen back into the obstacle...
Option 3: Fist fight, o wait your not my friends LOL :gee:

Wow! Those things look sweet. If I had the extra cash to throw around I would certainly get them. Hopefully enough guys buy them to keep him making them for a long time.

Back