• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cat Stolen Tonight...Temporary fix?

Emerscape

NAXJA Forum User
So someone cut off the cat on my jeep while I was at work today. I had my jeep scheduled to go to CT next weekend to have my mechanic replace a cracked head, install an OME lift, and do some other maintenance. Since I'd rather not have to pay a boston mechanic a fortune to replace the cat, is there a way that I can put some flex pipe on it or something just to make it through the week. If so how can I cet it to stay on?

chances are slim that you'll be able to find anyone willing to risk a fine to install something bypassing the converter, but you should be able to purchase the installation kit designed to adapt a universal converter to the Jeep. It would be a simple matter of bolting and clamping the new converter into the existing location with the kit (or a test pipe until you can get the new converter.)

get a quote on putting the cat on; its probably not that expensive. I paid 150 for one installed in SoCal.

Who and why would someone steal a catalytic converter? Scrap value?

Its the platinum inside of it. Just get one at the parts store and put it on.

Yes, you can actually get around $60-$80 per cat. There are lots of precious metals inside them.

x3 on a quote, my roommate had one put on his MJ not too long ago, think it was $150 as well.

They were making a business of it in NJ, hitting the commuter train and bus stations. All hail to the might battery powered sawzall.... one station lost over 150 cats in one day down in Islin NJ.

Awhile back a few people hit up all the new car dealerships, used pipe cutters to stay nice and quiet, and cleaned them out pretty good. Stopped by at a Jeep shop too :( They got caught though, dummies...

Sorry to hear about your situation, but like others said, it shouldn't be bad to get replaced..

Mine was stolen the same way. I just bought a piece of straight pipe from Autozone and two clamps and bolted it on. It took all of 10 minutes. Mine is a 2001 with 3 cats and they only took the downstream cat. It still passes the sniffer, so I probably won't add one again.

How many cats does a 2000 have? I just called meinekee and they wanted $750 (told them to go f' themselves) and my other mechanic in the city (who does my inspections and oil changes) said probably around $500. I guess I'll just hit up autozone and clamp a pipe to it until it goes back to CT for it's overhaul next week. Thanks for the help guys

Depending on the year it may have a downstream O2 sensor in the cat. The PO of my 97 removed the cat and the downstream O2. Now I have an annoying 02 CEL until I replace it.

Depends on where it was intended for sale. CA ones have 2 pre-cats (small ones on the exh manifold), then the main cat.

So they don't have to work and they can pay for their Crystal Meth Habit! :D

Back