• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Data Plate decoding?

X-defector

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a 97 Sport with the UpCountry package and am trying to find out more about it. It has ABS, so I know it has the loathed c-clip D35. Theoretically since it has the UpCountry package it will have 3.73s, but I'm not sure how to verify that. I am also trying to find out what TC it has, I'm assuming it would have a 231. I'm just trying to find the details about it that I can't find on the original sticker.

It has a data plate under the hood, but I don't know what that will tell me about it. Is there any relevant driveline data coding on that tag, and how do I read it? I know the VIN leaves out pretty much everything. And yes, I've searched about reading a data tag - to no avail.

Thanks in advance!

If you have 2H - 4H - N - 4L, then you have the 231. If there is a 4H part time and a 4H full time, then you have the 242.

For axle ratio, check the tags on either axle. They should be bolted to one of the diff cover bolts.

The transfer case has on ID tag on the backside, crawl under and look. You can, as mentioned, deduce the Tcase type by looking at the Tcase shifter bezel.

Since about the 1990's 4.0L Cherokees have either the automatic trans and 3.55 axle gears or the manual trans and 3.07 axle gears. UpCountry and Tow Package Cherokees got the same for gears.

Back