• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First time wheeling, now it's clunking

XJ00RHD

NAXJA Forum User
I took my XJ out wheeling for the first time, and was following some pretty experienced guys in various CJ's and TJ's with various customization and strength.
I, however, only have lifted my vehicle 3.5", and put in a front ETCED (which I didn't activate once during the day).
A couple time I had to bump the front end to get up a shelf, but I wasn't overly aggressive or crazy fast or anything.
Now the front right makes a speed-related gentle tap/clunk that disappears the instant that I apply the breaks.
I know the U-Joints are all new, so I doubt that's it, and I can't place it!

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Check the brakes...maybe there's something in there!

Start in the front and SLOWLY work your way back checking everything. A few of the more common things have already been listed but how about the rear springs and/or any of the mounting points. The rear universal straps. This is a common problem. The def itself can make that noise. The trany/engine mounts and there bolts. OLD engine mounts love to go south with just a little pounding. Cross member bolts. Every part of the steering including the steering box and the front suspension. Watch for distortion of the rail around the steering bolts. A very common problem for offers.
EVEN old tree limbs stuck under there. That will happen, if you were making your own trail
WELCOME to the wounderfull world of off roading.

J-E-E-P
just
empty
every
pocket

Luck

Last edited:
it's definitely from the front axle, or something attached to the front axle. Which side it's on, I can't be sure.
Bobby@Bullydog: I first REALLY observed this sound going less than 10 MPH on a smooth level surface. I can't feel it clunk against the frame, so i would think I'd need a lot more experience than I've got to spot the problem you've suggested.

Badron: It's a '00, so I'm assuming the engine mounts **hopefully** aren't bad after 83k. The diff has brandy new gears/bearings/carrier, as well as all the u-joints being recently serviced. After I got back from wheeling I only noticed two undercarriage points of contact: a little scrape on the resonator, and a slight bend in one of the LCA mounts on the axle. I wasn't clearing my own trail or anything, I had a minimum of 2 jeeps to follow and a spotter on the wonky stuff.

Well the, bolts holding the carrier to the spindle seem tight, and all the ball joints seem tight as well (no discernible play)
There doesn't seem to be anything in the breaks, as there are no weird wear-marks on the rotor. I don't have a caliper spreader, or I'd have pulled the caliper and checked the pads.
The sound seems to be most prevalent when the vehicle is warm (highway speed warm), and be essentially unnoticeable when cool, or after it's been parked for a couple hours.
Bearing seems the most likely culpret. How can I be sure? If it's gone, what brand bearing/hub assy would you suggest? I'm already broke, so money is a piece of the puzzle.
Thanks!

I've had this happen may times after wheeling.. It was either the control arms adjusting nut came loose - finally used some locktite, the track bar adjusting nut - again more locktite, or the upper shock bushings got destroyed or the lower shock eye worked it's way off the bushing and was contacting the shock mount on the axle

Back