• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shredded 2nd fan belt since January, what could it be?

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Went to take my Jeep to work this morning, started it up, got a horrible noise immediately. Shut down, opened the hood. A chunk of the fan belt came off and part of it jumped a few ribs. Closed the hood, drove my Honda to work, will probably replace the belt when I get home tonight.

Jeep is not a dd, probably have drove it a dozen times since the last time it shredded a belt back in January.

What could be causing the belt to shred? Motor mounts are MORE and about 2 years old, harmonic balancer looked good as of January. Belt is a Gatorback so its not a cheap one. Tightness checked with a Kirkit II gauge.

Thanks

i was thinking possibly too tight but you checked that. maybe your pulley? bur on one of the pulleys causing it to tear over time? just thinking out loud.

Something in the pathway of the belt, like a loose bolt?

Something in the pathway of the belt, like a loose bolt?

I checked for that lats time.

I wonder if I could be over-tightening it?

Not if you are using the Kricket II.

With the belt off anyway, try to push-pull all the pulleys looking for excessive movement, tighten all bolts that could possibly be walking into the pathway.

My best guess, one of your pulley's isnt spinning freely and is binding it up.

Are you going through waterpumps as well? If not, its probably not overtight. The 4.0 waterpump is more sensative to overtight belts than the belts are.

X4 (or whatever number we're up to) on the harmonic balancer. You should be able to narrow it down to the "grooved" pulleys, as the smooth ones wouldn't cause the belt to walk forward or backward-- it'd just ride on a new part of the pulley if it moved.

when you pull the belt, try spinning and pushing/pulling the balancer, P.Steering, alt, and a.c. clutch pulleys. If all spin freely and you can't move them in and out by hand, try a small amount of force with a "wonder bar."

My best guess, one of your pulley's isnt spinning freely and is binding it up.

Are you going through waterpumps as well? If not, its probably not overtight. The 4.0 waterpump is more sensative to overtight belts than the belts are.

never had to do a waterpump.

i've also seen a/c pumps go out and cause this.

a/c pump got put in last september.

balancer looked good in jan.

hopefully i can find some time to take a good look soon.

Replaced the belt today, seems to have jumped forward and shredded one rib off.

All pulleys moving fine, and appear to be in-line.

I'm thinking it had more to do with a couple hard 1-2 shifts the last time I drove it. Those seem to cause breakage quite often.

Replaced the belt today, seems to have jumped forward and shredded one rib off.

All pulleys moving fine, and appear to be in-line.

I'm thinking it had more to do with a couple hard 1-2 shifts the last time I drove it. Those seem to cause breakage quite often.

Cant be the shifting as I have an AW4 and encounter the exact same issue. It tears sections off of the rear of the belt. Could be a misalignment issue, but no clue as I have checked everything else.

I did notice that the power steering pulley appears to have a rubber piece in it thats very loose; does this mean I need to replace the pulley?

x16 (or something like that) on harmonic balancer. Mine seperated once, and the outer ring did about 2 ribs worth of movement forward, causing the belt to climb over the edge on the other pulleys. The edge is slightly higher, and will after a few miles have cut loose the ribs running on the outside...

went through 2 belts before i discovered this.. did not know the HaBa was made of 2 parts...

Back