• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose steering

frontman

NAXJA Forum User
not sure what it is but steering is loose. tire wear is even, was bad even when sway bar was on. someone said something about tightening some kinda screw on steering box. is that true and where is it?

Usually not a good idea.

Get a friend to sit in the drivers seat, vehicle sitting on ground, you crawl under the front end and have the friend turn the wheel back and forth slowly so you can see what is loose.

Yeah, adjusting the steering gear box is the LAST thing you do. First do what joe_peters suggested and look for components that are loose or worn, and replace those. A little bit of movement here, combined with a little movement over there, can add up to a whole lot of slop.

I don't want to hijack this thread but what if the steering is way too tight? I replaced the steering gear box last weekend and now it's really hard to turn the steering wheel and it does not return to center.

Al, give it a couple of weeks and see if it loosens up on it's own (mine did). But right now you can check for anything rubbing or binding. Disconnect the steering stablizer and move it by hand just to make sure it isn't hanging up.

Back