• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BTF Cross-Over Steering Knuckle, install write-up

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
So there's always questions about upgraded steering on the D30. There seem to be plenty of options, here's the one I went with.

I ordered the BlueTorchFabWorks “Cross-Over Steering Bracket for Dana 30/44 Knuckle” about a week ago, was told it would be about 3 weeks to get here, was pleasantly surprised this morning by the brown van guy.

Here's a quick write-up on how too get it on the knuckle, I'll add to it as the steering parts come in.
There were no instructions with the new part, and I couldn't find any online.

So some quick measuring and I came up with a list of parts needed;
1 - 5/8” bolts 4” long
2 - 5/8” bolts 4 ½” long
3 - 5/8” lock washers
3 - 7/16” standard washers (I bored these out to 5/8th for a smaller footprint than a 5/8th washer)
2 – ½” bolts 1 1/4” long
2 – 1/2” washers
All bolts are Grade 8.
This is a list just for the new piece, you'll still need bolts for the driver side and the pitman arm. That will come later in the week, hopefully.

First off, mount the BTFpiece on the knuckle with the 2 hub/bearing bolts. That will get the piece in the right spot to make the 2 holes that need to be tapped into the knuckle.
TARTUd846971-02.jpg

Before you mark these holes tho, put a bolt through the knuckle to ensure everything lines up, which it does perfectly.

I used a ½” drill bit mark the center of the hole. I have a few punches, but there is a casting ridge right in the center so this way was quick and simple.
6ezfbG402507-02.jpg

Once center is marked, go about drilling. Start small, work your way upto a 27/64th bit, so you can tap the hole with a 1/2-13 Tap.
15lQbA282103-02.jpg

Don't forget to use some lubricant, I had some brake fluid, mixed with 10W, worked well.
E.NBWQ515582-02.jpg

Once its all done put the BTFpiece back on, loosely with the hub bolts, than the 2 newly tapped ½” bolts, and tighten them all down. Drop the 5/8” bolt back in, it should drop straight down, which it did. (forgot the washers on the 1/2" bolts, they'll be on in the end)

YoshEM402482-02.jpg

The bolts are obviously quite long for these applications, I wanted that so the heims/misalignment spacers would be against shank as opposed to threads. Once the lock washers, washers and nuts were snugged up I used a 2nd washers for a spacer and cut the bolt off. I am contemplating using a locknut with the lock washer, seeing as this is steering, I don't want it coming apart... ever.

I plan on making a piece for the driver side which will put that heim in double sheer aswell. Once I have that done and get the knuckles clean up and painted I'll post up another portion of the write-up. I should have all the steering picked up and put together, and the pitman arm drilled to 5/8” by the end of the week. That will be another post too.

So far this has been real easy, mark, drill, tap and voila. Hopefully the rest of this goes as easily.

So since this stuff is OTK, I guess all the other crap has to be changed as well like sway bar mounts and trac bar? Then you just get the steering tubes from someone like ballistic fab, correct?

does this also fit the old style knuckles? the 84-89 style

Hmmm, I'm not really sure, I've never seen those knuckles, but an email to BTF would probably get an answer.

So since this stuff is OTK, I guess all the other crap has to be changed as well like sway bar mounts and trac bar? Then you just get the steering tubes from someone like ballistic fab, correct?

This axle has been a work in progress over the last few months, no sway bars, trac-bar mount is a RuffStuff piece, here's the build thread I put together for the axle.
As for the tubing, I'm getting it from a local supplier, with heims, spacers, jam nuts and such.

I got the driver side piece done today, certainly not as pretty as the BTF piece, but it will do. I'll post up pics later, when I have the time.

Well I was able to get the driver side piece done today, well done for now, more on that later.

Its not quite as aesthetically pleasing in the side by side with the BTF piece, but the end result should be the same.
The heim will be in double sheer, and it should add a little strength, as opposed to the bolt just through the knuckle.

The driver side captures one of the hub/bearing bolts, and taps 2 x 1/2" grade 8 bolts like the BTF piece does.
Check it out
RrPQzo728375-02.jpg

and one more
MRMfND035851-02.jpg

now I said at the start it's 'done for now' because looking at it now I am thinking I could/should add an angled piece to the outside of the piece. Its supported on the inside by the piece going to the hub bolt, but on the other side it could still flex a bit. Since I don't have a press brake I had to cut the 1/4" metal a bit in order to bend it the way I wanted to. Then welded the seam after it was bent.

Either way, I'm happy with it. Considering some setups have all the heims in single sheer, on both sides... I figure this should beef up everything that much more.

Now, just waiting on the steering linkages.

This is beautiful! I have been waiting for some kind of confirmation of use on an xj. Great write up as well. I will be going with this for sure. Will you be running a heim on the pitman as well?

this is sexy... i saw that btf bracket and was thinking how to do something with it... i kinda want to dump my jcr steering for this now... but the budget is kind tight at the moment. great to see how you did it tho, and i really like it.

Thanks for the write up. I've been looking at the BTF Cross-Over Steering Knuckle. So did you have to remove the knuckles or coule this be done in place? Have you figured out what your going to do with your trackbar mount?

My plan is to go to a complete heim steering with 1 1/2" x .250" wall chromoly tubing as drag link and tie rod. I mocked everything up, and had trackbar bracket clearance issues. BTF Cross-Over Steering Knuckle will do the job getting the tie rod over the knuckle and correct drag link steering geometry. Also make the trackbar easier to fab.

Look forward to updated info and pics on you project.

I’m ordering the BTF Cross-Over Steering Knuckle tomorrow.:looney:

Will you be running a heim on the pitman as well?
It will be all heims, the only single sheer will be at the pitman arm. I am contemplating going over the arm and building a bracket to make it double sheer, but I'll see what the angles look like first before I decide.

Have you figured out what your going to do with your trackbar mount?
I’m ordering the BTF Cross-Over Steering Knuckle tomorrow.:looney:
Post # 6
"here's the build thread I put together for the axle"

When I called, they didn't have any in stock, said it would take almost 2 weeks before it was ready, then shipped after that... ended up being a week to my door, fine by me.

I saw in your other thread that your steering links are expensive as crap. Like I said before, check out this link from ballistic fab, where you can get everything you need for wayyyy less.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Steering-Kit-78quot-with-High-Misalignment-Spacers_p_1337.html

problem for me is shipping. I bit the bullet on the BTF piece, but I am currently sourcing some better prices from another local guy here.
UPS bends us over up here on brokerage fees... the BTF piece was $40 alone just in brokerage fees.

thanks for the heads up tho, glad to see I didn't go with the first quote, just seeing ballistics price is better than that.

Didn't see you were in Canada, that sucks on all the fees. But yeah, at least you know you should be able to get it all for less than what you were quoted.

So did you have to remove the knuckles or coule this be done in place?

sorry I forgot about this question

I guess you could do it while still on the axle, but it would be pretty difficult. drilling would be pretty cramped, and then trying to get the tap started properly in the cramped area... its much easier to just knock the knuckles off and do it right in a vice on a bench.
not to mention, unless your knuckles are bored out to 5/8" your going to want them off to put in a drill press anyway.

The bolts are obviously quite long for these applications, I wanted that so the heims/misalignment spacers would be against shank as opposed to threads. Once the lock washers, washers and nuts were snugged up I used a 2nd washers for a spacer and cut the bolt off. I am contemplating using a locknut with the lock washer, seeing as this is steering, I don't want it coming apart... ever.

Have you thought of drilling a hole through the bolt and using a castle nut?

Willy

sorry I forgot about this question

I guess you could do it while still on the axle, but it would be pretty difficult. drilling would be pretty cramped, and then trying to get the tap started properly in the cramped area... its much easier to just knock the knuckles off and do it right in a vice on a bench.
not to mention, unless your knuckles are bored out to 5/8" your going to want them off to put in a drill press anyway.

Thanks for all the info...ordered BTF Cross-Over Steering Bracket this morning.:clap:

I installed the same bracket last year and ran into problems with the bracket limiting the left turning radius. The bracket would hit the right coil spring about 1/2 way through the turn. I ended up triming down the front of the bracket and welding in a new gusset and it works great.

I installed the same bracket last year and ran into problems with the bracket limiting the left turning radius. The bracket would hit the right coil spring about 1/2 way through the turn. I ended up triming down the front of the bracket and welding in a new gusset and it works great.

Any pics of your modification??

I read your comments, luckily my coil buckets are mounted about 1.5" further back on the axle, pretty much right over the axle tube.

When I had the knuckle all mounted up I tried it lock to lock, not a problem either way.

But thats good info for those with coils in stock location.

Back