• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine keeps running after ignition is turned off

clean96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
96 4.0 manual shift with 105k

normal driving, engine runs nice and smooth

Starting to happen everytime I turn ignition off.

turn off ignition and take key out
engine keeps running nice and smooth. no check engine lights.
all accessories are wont turn on
push clutch in and idiot light come on "Gen" "brake" and such
playing with ignition (where key goes) has no effect

after a minute or two the engine turns off.

Any ideas?
friend sugguested cleaning contacts on ASD relay (Auto Shutdown Device)

Ignition switch adjustment?

This has been covered before, and there are a number of write ups on here, use search for "adjusting ignition switch".

ok I am chatting to myself but.. friendly mechanic advised next time the engine wont shut off, give the ASD relay a little whack with a screwdriver to test whether the relay is stuck. otherwise its most likely ignition switch issues.

The problem is still occuring but, jeep went a few months of no shutdown issues. My attention is focusing on the small fuse panel just above the driver's feet (just above clutch pedal). By chance I found by tapping the fuse panel, the engine will shut down. No fuses are blowing. maybe a bad ground? anyone have any ideas?

Try adjusting the ignition switch.

Again, do a search, there was a recent long thread and the poster found his problem.

SOOO
After a year of trouble shooting this inconsistant problem, I finally figured it out!!!

Symptoms:
Sometimes, the engine would not shut off when ignition was turned out.

Sometimes, depressing the clutch sometimes shut the engine off. Which lead to discovery of taping fuse panel by clutch would shut the jeep off.

Open Door buzzer would sometimes go off when I hit the fuse panel nex to the clutch pedal.

Problem disappeared completely during winter season! (still dont know why this happened!)

Pulling fuses out of the panel didnt shut the engine off.

Solution: I ended up sticking my hand behind the fuse panel to test each wire connection. I found a Nut had fallen behind the fuse panel and it was crossing a bunch of connections! Feeding power to the ignition and sometime the door buzzer!

HORAAH! 1 yr 2 weeks to solve this problem! Now, onto the next...

Wow, that's a pretty strange one! Glad that the percussive debugging finally worked for you.

Back