• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gear oil?

98CherokeeSport

NAXJA Forum User
I have a D30 with an ARB, 4.56s, and chromoly shafts (if that helps any). what is the best gear oil to put in the diff? do i need any additives with the ARB?

You might check ARB's site, but I do not believe you need an additive for it. I would probably go with some Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 (full syn)

I use Castrol synthetic 75W90. I don't see why you would need an additive, additives seem to be for limited slip differentials, I don't even use one for mine.

I just loaded up my axles with valvaline 80w90, no point in putting in synthetics if you're changing it regularly. (I have to change this batch in 200 miles as its new gears, after that I'll change it twice a year)

~Scott

Friction additives are only for rear ends with a posi, and only if the manual or maker of the posi recommends it. It can actually damage other rear ends.
Just use normal synthetic gear oil. There are 1000 kinds to choose from.

i use the cheapest stuff i can get (citgo) and change it often. since theres no filter or anythng...

Back