• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick question about stock spring perch holes.

jonzer12

NAXJA Forum User
With regards to the rear suspension:

I recently put a 3" lift and 31's on my jeep. I did not check how it was stock but when I pulled the stock leaf springs in I put the centering pins in the middle of the 3 holes in my spring perches (8.25) when I installed the new spring packs.

Now that my 31's are on I can see that the axle is nowhere near centered in the wheel well. The tires are much closer to the rear of the fender well lip than the front. I am rubbing the bumper end caps on mild bumps where I could probably stuff the entire tire no problem if I moved the axle towards the transfercase.

Was the stock leafs in the center hole? Is the axle not centered in the wheel well stock? If I use the rear most hole in the spring perches won't the ubolt nuts not sit flush on the spring plate since the u-bolts will now be at angles as the hole I am using is not centered with the axle tube?

Last edited:
the centering pin is not in the middle of the main leaf. IIRC its 23" from front bushing to centering pin hole and about 29 " from centering pin hole to rear bushing.

I don't think the axle is off that much but perhaps I put the damn springs in backwards. I will get out the tape measure once I get back from work.
Anymore words on about using anything but the center hole in the spring perch, and
if the axles are pushed back in the wheel well stock?

Be sure you installed the springs with the big bushing towards the front, and the little bushing towards the rear...

There was an end with bushings even with the spring eye and an end with the busing extending out past the spring eye. The end that was flush I put in the body mount as this is how the stock spring looked. I will measure when I get back and see if I messed it up.

Well I measured it out. The old springs were 21" from the inside of the eye to the center pin. The new ones are 23-23.5. Bet they measure 28 the other way so they are definetly installed correctly. On level ground it doesn't look like it would rub in the rear but I guess as the spring flattens out it moves the axle even more rearward and rubs she does.
So using the far hole in the spring perch is a define no no? I could get lift shackles to gain a bit more clearance or I need to start cutting.

Can you post some pics of the side of your XJ? I'm curious to see the actual clearances...

The bushing came preinstalled in the springs. I have already varified the springs are installed in the correct direction. If i reversed them the tire would be well into the body work, I wouldn't even be able to get the tire on. I ordered Rough Contry adjustable XJ shackles. The rear springs gave me 2 3/4 inches of lift and the front gave me 4" so I will use the new shackles to even out the back and get me more clearance. The will also help with my pinion angle as I have a SYE on the way.
Beyond that I am either trimming or I have heard that if I just drill a now hole in the spring plate I can use the rear leaf spring perch holes? Anyone see issues with that?

i would measure the distance from bushing to centering hole of the springs you removed against the measurement of the new springs.

the position of the wheel doesnt look right and you should not have to do anything to the spring mounts or spring plate for the tire to sit iin the wheel well proporly.

something is not right with the new springs if the stockmount puts your wheel in that location. you should not modify anything for a 3" lift spring to work.

Something is definitely not right with those spring packs. Are both sides the same?

I'm wondering if you got MJ springs or something else that was close.

Back