• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How Hard To Trim Fenders on A 2000 xj sport

ecarter2

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj sport and i was thinking about trimming the fenders, how hard is it to trim the fenders and what does that consist of to do that. If any one has some advice thank you

Eric

do a quick search of the topic and you find many write up with pictures.

here it is in a nutshell: it quite easy to do and if done well, it'll look very clean. remove the flares (theres a metal bracket held by a nut and bolt that holds them on). be prepared for them to break as your loosen the nut cause it most likely will happen. quite a few broke on my 2001 when i removed them, and on my 96 almost all of them did. but this doesnt really matter because you most likely wont be using that bracket again.

use your tool of choice to basically just cut away the sheet metal (sawzall, anglegrinder with cutoff wheel, dremel, finetooth jigsaw). for the front theres basically no limits so mark it off and cut as much as you want. for the rear this is important: dont cut past the pinchwelds otherwise the sheetmetal will come apart. instead make cuts between the pinchweld (youll see little dimbles every couple of inches) and use a hammer or something to hammer the flaps up into the wheel well. for this part be prepared for flaking paint. in the rear youll also have to trim the plastic end caps, as they run all the way from the bumper to the wheel well

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87959&highlight=fender+trim+write+up

Pictures are gone but this is the write up I used. It is pretty straight forward. Use a cut off wheel if you can, it was much cleaner than what I could do with a sawzall.

Painters tape to mark where you want to cut was a huge help for me.

I moved the flares up on mine about 2 inches. Have to look closely to see what I did, but if you know what you are looking at it is obvious. Take you time. I was nervous on the first cut, but it got easier after that.

Back