• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear 4.10 axle for XJ

woowoo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
ok so i'm replacing my rear axle bc of a couple the ring and pinion gears got chewed up and i'm getting a another one (obviously)... but what i need to know is if it will make any huge difference if the front axle ratio is 3.55 and the rear axle is 4.10???

would it be a huge problem, ware parts down faster, is it do-able?

should i just get a 3.55?

You won't have any problem...

until you put in in 4WD. Then the fun will begin!

The axle ratios, and tire sizes need to be all the same for 4WD to work without issues.

-Ron

ok so i'm replacing my rear axle bc of a couple the ring and pinion gears got chewed up and i'm getting a another one (obviously)... but what i need to know is if it will make any huge difference if the front axle ratio is 3.55 and the rear axle is 4.10???

would it be a huge problem, ware parts down faster, is it do-able?

should i just get a 3.55?

I hae been running my XJ like this for quite some time. It have 3.55 in front and 4.10 in the rear. I have removed the front drive shaft to be on the safe side. The gear differences are too great to ever engage the 4WD. I do not want to have a TC (transfer case) :explosion

X2. I did this for a while in my DD XJ. I pulled the front shaft and saved my money over the summer and put front gears in before winter so that I could use it when the snow came. It would be mass failure if you tried 4WD w/ those different ratios, and possibly cause your rig to fold like a taco :D

Back