• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30: Whats Causing this?

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
Its obviously a seal, whats the seal called. i noticed it today. Everything under my rig is freshly covered in dry mud from last weekend. only thing showing signs of leakage, is this. I just pulled the shafts 3 weeks ago and replaced U-joints, so i might of damaged something then?

S4010014.jpg

Time to run to the autoparts store and get the obvious part, and obviously, install it ;)

Before you install the shaft again, or even the seal, clean out your axle tube.
Install the seal, then take some grease and lubricate the end of the axle shaft past the surface the seal will ride on, then install the axle shaft.

-Ron

ohhh so this is the inner axle shaft seal? so obviously i need to pull the diff cover, will this require i remove the Carrier? or can these be installed with the carrier?

Also, if i top the diff off for now, will it be okay to wait to replace them for a week? is this a "Do it asap" Or "put it on the nearby future list" item ???

Ahh.. any write ups?

Yes you will need to pull the carrier, at least it will be easier. No its not a major issue and it can go without for a while, as long as you keep fluid levels up and dont get a bunch a chit like mud past the seal, and there probably are write ups, try searching.

I hate those inner dana 30 seals with a passion. might as well pick up both, you'll likley tear the other one pulling the shafts.

fun! so unless im very careful installing the shafts im almost guaranteed to destroy the seal?

i need to remember that, i thought they "popped" into the carrier. heh

Pretty much.... just try to guide the axle shaft down the center of the tube as best you can and dont force it through. Ive had my axle shafts in and out quite a bit and have ruined a seal yet.

The build up of mud and/or sand in the axle tubes is a problem on my rig.. Everytime I pull an axle shaft , I use a shop vac and clean out the tubes.

That way when the axle shafts are installed ya don"t push the debris in the seal.

Nick

how the heck do you clean out the inner tube?? tons of spray cleaner??

heres one way:
remove the shafts and carrier. put something into the axle tube like a long solid core wire or a wire fish tape from the knuckle to the diff. once the end is in the diff, attach a rag to the end of it (like bend a U in the wire and tie or tape a rag to the U). you can use some brake cleaner on the rag if you want. now pull the wire to take the rag through the axle tube. think running a patch through a rifle barrel on a slightly larger scale. i used that method before and i will again before i put in alloy seals

Once you have a leak like you do, the mud and sand holds the oil in the tube and it is pretty hard to clean out. I've found that if you get a length of threaded rod and bolt a large washer to the end between two nuts, you can use it as a scraper to clean out the hard stuff. Then the rag methods will do the final cleaning.

As for the seals, I've found that a broom handle with the end cut square can be used to knock out the old seals. You put the stick into the axle tube from the outside and whack it with a hammer to push out the seals. Then to reinstall the new ones, find a large socket that just fits the outer part of the seal. Hold the seal in place with the socket on it and have your helper use the broom handle from the other side to tap it in place.

There's a great write-up on doing this in the FAQ section. I need to do it myself sometime soon here.

Back