• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New exhaust questions.

Hubbazoot

NAXJA Forum User
I dinged up my exhaust from the L bend below the manifold and have pretty severe damage all the way back down the lines to and including the tip. I got myself set up with a flowmaster system that goes the same length (starts at the bolt-on right above that L bend and goes on back.)

A couple questions...
With a ding on the lower part of that L bend, is it possible there is damage to the manifold? Or is the manifold strong enough/out of the way enough not to have seen any of that damage?

How hard are the bolts between the manifold and the exhaust line to undo?

The new system has a flowmaster exhaust pipe. What questions should I ask about it and what should I look for before I actually get it to avoid creating more problems?

Anything special I should watch out for when I'm swapping these out?

The bolts can be a PITA, squirt them with some PB blaster or WD 40 and let em sit for at least a couple hours, then try and remove them. They will come loose easier with an impact gun.
You can probably pick up a header for pretty cheap. I would recommend a custom down pipe that is mandrel bent, with a flange on the end to bolt up to the stock style cat and use your current flowfailer system that you have. haha.

The bolts can be a PITA, squirt them with some PB blaster or WD 40 and let em sit for at least a couple hours, then try and remove them. They will come loose easier with an impact gun.
You can probably pick up a header for pretty cheap. I would recommend a custom down pipe that is mandrel bent, with a flange on the end to bolt up to the stock style cat and use your current flowfailer system that you have. haha.
This is a new line all the way from the flange at the base of the manifold. The kicker is that it's from a '92 high output and has a different style flange connecting it (f**k crysler.) at a different angle (OF ALL THINGS...JUST AT A DIFFERENT F**KING ANGLE) so I need some help welding it up.

I dinged up my exhaust from the L bend below the manifold and have pretty severe damage all the way back down the lines to and including the tip. I got myself set up with a flowmaster system that goes the same length (starts at the bolt-on right above that L bend and goes on back.)

A couple questions...
With a ding on the lower part of that L bend, is it possible there is damage to the manifold? Or is the manifold strong enough/out of the way enough not to have seen any of that damage?

How hard are the bolts between the manifold and the exhaust line to undo?

The new system has a flowmaster exhaust pipe. What questions should I ask about it and what should I look for before I actually get it to avoid creating more problems?

Anything special I should watch out for when I'm swapping these out?

1) Dent is supposed to be there, front drive shaft clearance. If you lift you should not need it.

2) Cut the bolts and replace with new ones. Mine just snapped when I did the manifold.

3) I have a flowmaster 40 on mine and I am happy with it. Louder than the stock one, but it sounds better than a fart can, but it is not a V8. Is everything already bent and ready to put on? Save your self some money and put it on your self and have a shop or buddy weld it up if you can't do it your self.

1) Dent is supposed to be there, front drive shaft clearance. If you lift you should not need it.

2) Cut the bolts and replace with new ones. Mine just snapped when I did the manifold.

3) I have a flowmaster 40 on mine and I am happy with it. Louder than the stock one, but it sounds better than a fart can, but it is not a V8. Is everything already bent and ready to put on? Save your self some money and put it on your self and have a shop or buddy weld it up if you can't do it your self.
Well here's the kicker. It's already the complete piping but it's for a '92 XJ H/O. The connection right at the flange to the manifold is different. I need some help welding my flange onto the top of this pipe. Yella are you free tomorrow during the day? I can see about putting it on before I have to be at work...

Back