• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's rear spring bushing HELP!!!!!

xjnuttier

NAXJA Forum User
I have a post on jeep forum also, and I am having no luck. I have a Rusty's 4.5" lift with the rear spring packs. The problem, not only that the rear buchings are worn out bad after only a year, but the fatc that they are not factory size spring eyes, they are undersized. I do not want to buy the replacement junk bushing from Rusty, but I cant seem to find a replacemnt other than his? anyone who haas had this issue please let me know what you did to rectify? the front eye measuremtn for my springs is 2" by 2 1/2" wide with 9/16" bolt, and the rear is around 1 1/2" with same bolt size.. I am trying ti find a kit I can buy that has these eye dimensions, or else it is going to cost me alot to buy several kits and piece to gether.. HELP :tears:

Only after a year? I wish mine lasted that long.
LOL, it is probally like 6 months, LOL I jst found the source of the rear clunk I had, LOL
I found the rubber bushings in a place here in whitehall, pa, called stengel brothers. I got the 4 bushings, the front are the RB-121- and the rear are RB-71, for 42 dollars shipped including 6% to the PA governer.. I had searched, and put some mroe thought into the rubber VS poly, and thought I will try the rubber one more time, and if it still wears bad, I am switching rear springs toa full size front eye, that the XJ had stock.

LOL, it is probally like 6 months, LOL I jst found the source of the rear clunk I had, LOL
I found the rubber bushings in a place here in whitehall, pa, called stengel brothers. I got the 4 bushings, the front are the RB-121- and the rear are RB-71, for 42 dollars shipped including 6% to the PA governer.. I had searched, and put some mroe thought into the rubber VS poly, and thought I will try the rubber one more time, and if it still wears bad, I am switching rear springs toa full size front eye, that the XJ had stock.

Rusty's will replace them for free why not at least get them then figure something else out.

Rusty's will replace them for free why not at least get them then figure something else out.

Well I "used" to be a Rusty's fan, but lately on my last few issues not so much anymore. I had spoke with a guy named Mike there, who was not very knowledgeable about their products, like the running change from small bushing to large, but he did ask Rusty, and that is where I got the RB #'s from. they would not do anything for me on the bushings, and LOL it is written right there in the warranty clause on the website. 6 month warranty on bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints etc etc etc... and they were making no attemp to make it right. They wanted to sell me more SUNSTANDARD bushings. NO thanks. and honestly it has to do with my wifes JK also that had a bad track bar, but got no where there, long story, but lately I have not been getting the warm fuzzy feeling, I used to get when I dealt with them. They KNOW they have an issue, that is why they changed to the larger size bushing recently, but they are not going to own up to it. ???? What does one do?

I got the rear spring bushings from NAPA. I see if I can find the part # in the morning. JIM.

AWESOME!!! well not awesome that you are having the problem but i am too lol. My bolt is actually sitting on the metal of the leaf spring lol. Only mine are two years old. I just noticed it when i was putting my bumper back on. I am going to call rusty's in a minute and see what they say.

If you get the Napa part number let us know.

whats a sunstandard bushing?
What I mean by "substandard" is less than what the factory spring has. The eye on the front of the factory XJ spring is a 2 1/2" eye, and the spring from Rusty before a recent production change, and i think within the last year. Rusty was using a 2" eye for the front, They personally told me. Why do you think we are all wearing our bushing out in a year, and the factory spring we all removed to put our lifts on, all had good bushings still. My factory bushings still in good shape after 10 years of service and 80k miles. The rustys spring 1 year? and now he is using the 2 1/2" eye, or Mike from Rusty's is misleading me. He knew what I was talking about when I called, I am sure I am one of many calls they have had about these bushings. Rubicon express as well is using the same type of bushing from what I understand. Now take a look at the tomken website, and see what size bushings their springs use. You guessed it the factory 2 1/2", with looks to be energy suspension ploy bushings.

The one other thing I want to clarify is that by no means am I bashing any company, they all seemed to have done it, for what reason I don't know, but LOL we are modifying our vehicles...

I guess I was lucky, mine lasted 4+ yrs. I looked for the part #, couldn't find it. I'll check with NAPA tomorrow, they should have it in the computer. JIM.

I needed new bushings a while ago too, I just called a local spring shop, told them what I needed
2 x 2"OD bushings
2 x 1.5"OD bushings
they had the 1.5" in stock, the 2" took a day or two.

When I called my local NAPA, they said they didn't do bushings. Didn't ask why, but either way, the spring shop said it would be about $15ea and $19ea for the 1.5" and 2" respectively.

6 months for me as well. I bought Re bushings, have not installed them yet.

2" diameter for front bushings and 1.5" diameter for rear bushings. Sounds like OEM size to me though........

But you say the newer Rusty's leafs are coming with larger spring eyes and bushings?

My leafs are from August 2007.........

The bushings have a year warranty. Mine failed in 6 months but I failed to call them until a few months after the warranty expired, they would not replace the bushings.

The tierods that they ship their steering conversion with are even worse......................

Not really bashing, I have bought a bunch of stuff from them. But their tierod ends and bushings need to be addressed.....

The rear spring bushings I got from NAPA are part# 274-7057. They are stock bushings for a 87-95 Wrangler. JIM.

Well I "used" to be a Rusty's fan...They KNOW they have an issue, that is why they changed to the larger size bushing recently, but they are not going to own up to it. ???? What does one do?

You shop elsewhere. I know Rusty claims to be made in USA :patriot: but come on now, where is that traditional American (and Canadian) quality/service people expect from a company that claims to be be made in USA?:eyes:

I couldn't find out where Rubicon Express lifts are made, but I went with them as many people are happy with their products and cust. service. Of the available lift kits, I could only find country of origin info on Rusty's.

Last edited:
You shop elsewhere. I know Rusty claims to be made in USA :patriot: but come on now, where is that traditional American (and Canadian) quality/service people expect from a company that claims to be be made in USA?:eyes:

I couldn't find out where Rubicon Express lifts are made, but I went with them as many people are happy with their products and cust. service. Of the available lift kits, I could only find country of origin info on Rusty's.

my rusty's leafs came with a big maple leaf on them and were proudly stickered MADE IN CANADA. that was april 06.

Back