• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

symptoms of a bad torque converter

Throttle

NAXJA Forum User
I was curious what are the symptoms of a bad torque converter? Is there a chance that they die instantly? I just posted not too long ago about my tranny going from fine, to grinding and lost all movement. It doesn't get into any gear, then grinds in any gear (reverse, drive, 3 or 2&1) but doesn't grind when in Neutral. The transfer case is apparently fine because I've tried putting it in different selections with the same results.

although ill be the first to admit i dont really know shit bout the way trannys work dosent everything have to go thru the transfercase regardless of weather or not your using 4wd

i was under there last night shaking the linkage for the tranny and tcase, but neither moved. I would have hoped that it was as simple as that! I'm pretty sure that its either the torque converter or the actual tranny. The only thing that worries me is that there is NO metal shavings in the tranny pan...

I would worry about your planetary gear sets in the transmission and/or the t-case is blown.

Have you checked the t-case fluid for metal?

Back