• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Set-Up

Ryan93

NAXJA Forum User
So I have read a few things about different setups, but the thing I want to know is what is the best option for go fast guys.. Ive read alot about options that people have for slow wheeling and just curious on what works and dosent work when it comes to pre-running, I'm currently looking into the Currie set up I have about 200 to spend on my new steering. So what you guys have? what works? what dosent? thanks guys

dunno how helpful you'd find this,
but I'd keep saving and go with the WJ swap eventually.
I'm a convert to the "brakes, THEN speed" school of thought. Too many elk down where I used ta live...
If you aren't going that route, or want an intermediate set up, you could go with the v8 ZJ tie rod and gain a ton of strength on the cheap.

the same principals apply to going slow and going fast when it comes to beefing up your steering. you want everything to be as strong as possible so the tie rods dont bend. when going slow, you might have a wheel wedged against a rock or something and you dont want it to deflect while you are turning the wheels. also, you dont want it turning into a taco if you happen to smack it against a rock. when you're going fast, its more about keeping both of the wheels pointed the same direction on an off center landing. if that steering deflects and lets one wheel catch and pull an opposite direction you might get thrown off balance or the steering might just rip itself apart. running into rocks and such in the dirt does happen, but usually when you hit a hidden rock hard enough while you are hauling ass, the steering links are the least of your worries ;)

i run a ZJ V8 tie rod, as said above, its really the best bang for your buck. it uses the same size shaft on the tie rod ends, so it goes in with no mods. the currie setup is excellent, and VERY beefy. if you have the money to spend it would be a great upgrade, and remain streetable. if you go to a full DOM tube style steering setup with heim joints on the ends you are going to lose some streetability.

im going to catch flak for this, but let the arguments come. no matter what anyone says, heim joints are not meant for the street in a daily driver type rig. they loosen up over time and either need to be rebuilt with new bushing inserts, or replaced. they are better suited for off road use, or something that doesnt get driven every day.

Last edited:
im going to catch flak for this, but let the arguments come. no matter what anyone says, heim joints are not meant for the street in a daily driver type rig. they loosen up over time and either need to be rebuilt with new bushing inserts, or replaced. they are better suited for off road use, or something that doesnt get driven every day.

Its not so much as you are going to catch flack, its that you miss the point.

:D

Hiems are not bad for the street, but what you have done is created another maintenance point. Hiems simply take more (much more) maintenance then TRE's.
That is to say, that they are perfectly fine in a DD if you are committed to maintaining them. And if you are building your rig as a pre runner, you damn well better be committed to a strong maintenance program.

Most JS are are running the Currie set-up. The v8 ZJ works good to but its not 1.25 chromolly. If you're building a JS its good to have as many like parts on your jeep as other racers because all the teams help each other with spare parts. In a prerunner set up it probably doesn't matter that much.

Most JS are are running the Currie set-up. The v8 ZJ works good to but its not 1.25 chromolly. If you're building a JS its good to have as many like parts on your jeep as other racers because all the teams help each other with spare parts. In a prerunner set up it probably doesn't matter that much.

What ends does the currie setup use? Are they much stronger then the zj ends? Could you just sleeve the zj setup for more strength?

What ends does the currie setup use? Are they much stronger then the zj ends? Could you just sleeve the zj setup for more strength?

The ends are specific to the steering kit but they are based on a one ton ford joint.

You could sleeve the zj stuff to make it stronger but it still wouldnt be as strong. The Currie kit is solid bar not tubing.

I have the JCR Offroad 3/4 ton chevy configuration. It is fairly inexpensive and spare parts are easy to find.

thanks for the input guys! Going to keep my eye out for a ZJ setup, i might spend my extra money on a steering box brace

Ha thanks for the input once again... I'm still leaning towards the Currie setup, im going to drive up there next week hopefully and possibly make a purchase we'll see.

Back