• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help:Where does this connects to ?

pierrexj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I found out that the wire that connects to this round metal piece (just above the oil filter in the 4.0,a thermostat maybe ?) ,is not connected anywhere in the other end and I'm having a hard time figuring out where it connects to, I'm sure some of you guys have the answer,thanks a lot.

DSC01008.jpg
[/IMG]

Thats your oil pressure sender. What year Cherokee is it? All of the senders I have seen are black plastic and about the size if a roll of nickels. It should have 1 wire running to it and its a yellowish wire running twords the front of the block (95'). Is there anything not working on your rig?

Thats your oil pressure sender. What year Cherokee is it? All of the senders I have seen are black plastic and about the size if a roll of nickels. It should have 1 wire running to it and its a yellowish wire running twords the front of the block (95'). Is there anything not working on your rig?

Wow,I guess I understand now why the oil pressure gauge dies sometimes...It's a 99, an export model,could be the reason the sender looks different, can't find wher it connects to yet, towards the front of the block,can you give me another reference to find it ?
Thanks!

I followed it and lost it in a harness under the A/C compressor.

Here is a Pic of what mine looks like,

The wrapped wire running across the top of the coil is the wire in question. As you can see it goes into a harness under the AC compressor.

I hope this helps a little more. Hopefully someone will have some more to put in.

Wow ,i'm pretty lost now.
In mine the wire goes back to the firewall and the goes to the drivers side and ends near the airbox...
I'm looking at some manuals I found on the net:Is this piece called the "engine oil pressure sensor" ?or should I look for the word "sender".
Thanks again for your help

I went back out and looked at mine again. The wire goes under the Ac compressor and then continues to the passenger side behind the battery. It then runs along the inside fender to the firewall. By this time its in a large bundle of wires that run across the top of the fire wall then drops down on the drivers side. It looks like the wire then continues into the cabin. :confused1 A past owner of your Cherokee may of had some issues with the sender, putting another one on and rewiring it. If it runs in the factory harness still i may be wrong. I guess Im not as much help as I thought I was :dunno: Im still hoping someone else will chime in to help. :looney:

Wow,I guess I understand now why the oil pressure gauge dies sometimes...It's a 99, an export model,could be the reason the sender looks different, can't find wher it connects to yet, towards the front of the block,can you give me another reference to find it ?
Thanks!

Does your oil pressure gage work at all now?

Thanks to all for their replies ,specially to Redneck to took the time to go and look in his truck.
Only one wire runs from the sender and it ends in a terminal like the one you connect car speakers to...
I thing I'm understanding now(I'm not a great mechanic as you might suspect by now...)
I found a harness (on top of the oil filter in the picture) close to the sender,that I guess that is where the other end of the wire it's supposed to connect to. This harnes has been "disabled" with electric tape, probablly something the previous owner did as Redneck correctly states, what it puzzles me is that the pressure gauge works most of the time,I'll go to the shop where they use to service it and ask,but my question is : Should my pressure gauge should be working at all like that...? Is there any danger in damging the engine this way or the sender it's just to make the gauge work ?
Thanks again.

DSC01009.jpg
[/IMG]

Something has to be hooked up somewhere for your oil gauge to be working.

The sender works by monitoring the electrical voltage output of the sender, which is directly proportional to the actual oil pressure.

Well then I must be doing something wrong cause the gauge works most of the time..I'll take it to the mechanic instead of driving you guys crazy...thanks!

To me it almost looks like that's a thick ground cable attached to the sending unit, that's just a guess though. That wouldn't explain the intermittent gauge operation though. That's a strange one.

Back