• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

right turn radius shot

vigman

NAXJA Forum User
K long story short, got stuck in mud, tried turning wheel going back and forth, a friend snatched me out, 4wl popped out in the process, was trying to get back into 4wl and forgot the wheel was still turned at this point i was being dragged out backwards. When i drove home i noticed right away that my alignment was way off and the steering wheel would only turn aprox 1.5 turns to the right as opposed to the 2.5 or so to the left. I checked the suspension and didnt see anything out of place also had an alignment done at a local shop, the steering wheel is still off a little and it still turns the same. As far as i know the entire front end is stock with the exception of a 3 inch lift. Is there anything i can do to fix this problem or am i just going to have to live with it until i can afford to replace the gearbox or whatever is causing the problem?

As long as theres nothing bent ,loose,and/or broke. Just center the steering wheel. The alignment shop didn't do a good job if they gave it back to you without centering the steering wheel... Take it back to them.

You can do it your self. The link that connects to the steering gear ,see the sleeve with the two bolts loosen the bolts. Make sure the front wheels are straight and unlock the steering wheel. Have someone watch the wheel while you turn the adjusting sleeve intill the steering wheel is centered.

Good Luck

Nick

As long as theres nothing bent ,loose,and/or broke. Just center the steering wheel. The alignment shop didn't do a good job if they gave it back to you without centering the steering wheel... Take it back to them.

Good Luck

Nick

X2, No reputable shop is going to do an alignment & not center the steering wheel.

k thanks a lot its kind of a pain trying to park this thing esp when i go to Jacksonville to visit my mother hopefully that will fix it

Check your drag link and tie link for being bent. Check for bent tie rod ends.

Adjusting the tie link for toe in will also effect your wheel centering.
Adjusting your drag link is the main way of adjusting wheel centering, but may also tweek your toe in setting slightly.

Make sure that the pitman arm is straight forward and back with the wheel at center, and don't just rely on the tires being straight ahead and the wheel centered. Why? Because it's possible to have your wheels and steering wheel aligned, and not have any turning radius in one direction or another because the pitman is not centered. I've seen Jeeps come back from shops like that, it's annoying.

-Ron

after installing a new front bumper i lost my right turn radius as well. As a matter of fact 2 of the stock bolts that go to the steering box broke off, so now i have 2 bolts in the box with no head on them to get them out. Any ideas?

Back