• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

virtual test drive

kwill1

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 XJ wanders at highway speeds, and I have a nasty sounding clunk/ pop, when offroading. Please take a look at my pics and tell me what you see (any problems, potential problems, etc.)

I have a list of the specs provided by the previous owner, but because I am an XJ noob, and a suspension/ steering noob, I can only assume that the info he provided me with is correct:

35" superswamper tires
xd assult 15x8" wheels
456 front and rear gears
transfer case correction kit, w/rear drive shaft
8" lift
terraflex high steer kuncle w/ custom draglink

(Feel free to explain any problems that you see like you were talking to a 5 year old. You won't hurt my feelings, and I would appreciate the insight).

jeep031.jpg

jeep032.jpg

Well considering you are a noob to the XJ, they all make weird noises. Your sway bar looks to be disconnected that would explain the wandering. There are gonna be guys who say "Ah, hell you don't need one", I call BS! If you plan on driving it on the street it NEEDS a front swaybar! I don't know what the PO had going on with that front end but there are a couple things i see that are odd. First of all the thing in front of the driver side coil might be rubbing on the coil on the trail making the popping noise. Also, whatever is right above the pass. side of the steering stabilizer looks like its going to the swaybar but i'm not sure and its definately not connected on at least one side

thanks for looking- I know that the sway bar is disconnected, and I tried to reconnect, but the driver's side bracket is bent. The bracket is welded in place, so I can't remove it to bend it back. Is it supposed to be welded or bolted?

Yes Flexed is right the XJ dose make alot of noises some people are not aware of and i did see some things in your photos that would make me scared to drive that XJ. First is the front axle is the standerd dana 30 with none standerd nuckles. That rases questions to the cast camber on the axle, is it right. The lower ball joint on the passanger side is blown and should be replaced soon. For the size of tire you have you should be running a double steering stablizer setup. There is alot of home brew welding and fab work on the axle that should be looked at by a good mechanic. Sorry if it sounds like im nit picking but you asked.

Yes Flexed is right the XJ dose make alot of noises some people are not aware of and i did see some things in your photos that would make me scared to drive that XJ. First is the front axle is the standerd dana 30 with none standerd nuckles. That rases questions to the cast camber on the axle, is it right. The lower ball joint on the passanger side is blown and should be replaced soon. For the size of tire you have you should be running a double steering stablizer setup. There is alot of home brew welding and fab work on the axle that should be looked at by a good mechanic. Sorry if it sounds like im nit picking but you asked.

Holy Hell that ball joint is TOAST! I would go to Napa and get some Moog ball joints or some Good brand to replace those with since you are running 35's. The brackets for the sway bar at the axle end are all jacked up i would try and get that fixed along with the ball joints then work from there. I have a good feeling that if you fix the sway bar mounts and the ball joints that noise will go away or become quiter!

I would say he is fine with a single stabilizer though. My old roommate ran 37's on his TJ and only had a single stabilizer and it did fine. I don't think you would need one it would just help cover up any wobble it may have just that much more.

Please feel free to nit pick- I want to get my XJ fixed right, but I don't want to take it to a mechanic and say- "fix it", because I don't have a mechanic that I can trust- that is why I am asking you guys.

Can you elaborate on the non standard knuckle and the home brew weld work comments? I want to know what is correct and what is jacked up before I take it to a mechanic.

Also, is the sway bar bracket supposed to be welded or bolted?

Holy Hell that ball joint is TOAST! I would go to Napa and get some Moog ball joints or some Good brand to replace those with since you are running 35's. The brackets for the sway bar at the axle end are all jacked up i would try and get that fixed along with the ball joints then work from there. I have a good feeling that if you fix the sway bar mounts and the ball joints that noise will go away or become quiter!

I would say he is fine with a single stabilizer though. My old roommate ran 37's on his TJ and only had a single stabilizer and it did fine. I don't think you would need one it would just help cover up any wobble it may have just that much more.

Should the upper and lower ball joints be replaced at the same time, or does it not matter?

Please feel free to nit pick- I want to get my XJ fixed right, but I don't want to take it to a mechanic and say- "fix it", because I don't have a mechanic that I can trust- that is why I am asking you guys.

Can you elaborate on the non standard knuckle and the home brew weld work comments? I want to know what is correct and what is jacked up before I take it to a mechanic.

Also, is the sway bar bracket supposed to be welded or bolted?

Its supposed to be bolted it sounds like the PO either did a hack job or paid someone to do one. I'd say try to bend the bracket on the passenger side back. It should be fairly easy with a big enough hammer. It looks like you have an over the knuckle-ish conversion on your axle, which don't get me wrong is a good idea but was poorly executed on your rig. One more thing i would do is PUNCH THE PO in the face! :)

Yes replace all of the ball joints at the same time. driver and passenger side!

Its supposed to be bolted it sounds like the PO either did a hack job or paid someone to do one. I'd say try to bend the bracket on the passenger side back. It should be fairly easy with a big enough hammer. It looks like you have an over the knuckle-ish conversion on your axle, which don't get me wrong is a good idea but was poorly executed on your rig. One more thing i would do is PUNCH THE PO in the face! :)

Yes replace all of the ball joints at the same time. driver and passenger side!

Sorry to be a pain, but can you explain what is wrong with the conversion (again, I know exactly jack about XJ steering/suspension).

the steering on your jeep looks like it was just pieced together by a blind man with only two fingers and half a brain...

Wow dude, I'd drop that thing 2-4" and have a local jeeper help you with the front end... You've got some definite sway bar connection bracket issues... I totally have no clue where those things came from! Looks like someone lifted it too high and couldn't afford proper-length disco's, so they fabbed up some longer axle-side mounts! If you look a little to the outside and something like 4" down you'll see the stock mounts, small and lonely, hah.

OTK is where the steering components are mounted ABOVE the steering Knuckle (where your brakes, spindles, and wheels/tires mount).

I always forget which is which, but it appears your Tie Rod is now mounted as your Drag Link, in stock location, while your "new" Tie Rod is mounted OTK... That's why it's OTK-ish, because a full OTK has the Drag Link mounted OTK on BOTH knuckles too... If I said any of those wrong, reverse the two components and it'll be right, haha.

Is that known as crossover steering???

I would fix the axle side trac bar mount by removing the piece that is welded to the upper control arm mount and have a gusset welded to the trac bar mount. Then have the upper control arm mount boxed in for added strength. As mentioned it's time for ball joints. I would also look at strengthening the stabilizer mount at the axle. Don't think you need too much work, just a couple of issues. Check all of your control arm mounting bolts, they tend to make popping sounds when they get loose. Good luck.

Wow dude, I'd drop that thing 2-4" and have a local jeeper help you with the front end... You've got some definite sway bar connection bracket issues... I totally have no clue where those things came from! Looks like someone lifted it too high and couldn't afford proper-length disco's, so they fabbed up some longer axle-side mounts! If you look a little to the outside and something like 4" down you'll see the stock mounts, small and lonely, hah.

OTK is where the steering components are mounted ABOVE the steering Knuckle (where your brakes, spindles, and wheels/tires mount).

I always forget which is which, but it appears your Tie Rod is now mounted as your Drag Link, in stock location, while your "new" Tie Rod is mounted OTK... That's why it's OTK-ish, because a full OTK has the Drag Link mounted OTK on BOTH knuckles too... If I said any of those wrong, reverse the two components and it'll be right, haha.

Is that known as crossover steering???

I plan too remove the coil spring spacers, and replace the extended shackles with stock shackles to drop about 2 inches. I am also seriously considering selling/ trading my 35s for 33s. I just don't know if this would create more problems then it would solve (right now, there is no DW).

I would fix the axle side trac bar mount by removing the piece that is welded to the upper control arm mount and have a gusset welded to the trac bar mount. Then have the upper control arm mount boxed in for added strength. As mentioned it's time for ball joints. I would also look at strengthening the stabilizer mount at the axle. Don't think you need too much work, just a couple of issues. Check all of your control arm mounting bolts, they tend to make popping sounds when they get loose. Good luck.

Anyway you can show me pictorally (is that a word?) exactly what you are talking about? Remember, complete noob here.

Ok on your steering your driver side nuckle looks like it was un changed, but the passanger side looks like they did a high steer converson. Personal i think you should take the axle out and just have it gone thru completly, and have it gussed at the same time. you need to eather use both high steer nuckles or convert back to stock. On the welding that was done looking deep into that one problem it looks like it was done while the axle was installed wich should have not been done. Second looking at the weld it self it looks like a hack job at best. Now im no expert at welding but i do run a weld shop in the Army so i know what looks right and what dosent. Definetly have a certified welder take a look at all that welding for safty reasons. Look into mabey picking up a dana 44 and have all the work done to it, might be cheaper that route.

I plan too remove the coil spring spacers, and replace the extended shackles with stock shackles to drop about 2 inches. I am also seriously considering selling/ trading my 35s for 33s. I just don't know if this would create more problems then it would solve (right now, there is no DW).

I'd say keep the 35's since its already geared for them. You may have to do a little trimming but it will be well worth it.

Back