• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine chain...?

how to change engine chain Jeep Cherokee 2,5tbi 86year

I'm assuming you're talking about the timing chain that synchronises the camshaft to the crankshaft? It's not a simple job, and I'd suggest you get a manual to have with you if/when you do it, or find someone locally who can walk you though it. It's an easy job to screw up, and screwing that up can cause all sorts of headaches for you.

Thats a big ask my EU friend. Have you done much searching for the answer? If i have time this evening ill try and point you in some direction as its something else that i would like to have some sort of vague idea about also.

I'd be happy to try to walk you through it, but this is something that is far better shown than read about, IMO. It's too easy to screw up.

The advantage of a proper laminated chain is that you're looking at service longevity of 300-500Kmiles without too much trouble (you have a laminated chain.) Roller chains go even longer - but they're rare in older vehicles.

Might I ask what is making you think the timing chain wants replacing? If you're not sure, it may be easier to give you a couple of tests you can do (without tearing anything major to bits!) that will help you decide. A timing light would make this easiest (it's a strobe light triggered by a spark signal, usually used to "freeze" timing marks on the crankshaft pully,) but it can also be done manually - just a bit less accurately.

went to services there and was told, so that the metal rattling inside the engine, and it must be and the timing chain would need to exchange.

yeah i wasnt gonna touch mine, just curious on getting my way around. And leek i cant find a silver bullet to answer your question IF you lack knowlede like me. It may however help if you read through a number of posts to help get a better idea. That said as i understand at this moment in time, your chain can be adjusted. And unless your service department took it apart and physically saw it had reached the end of its life and needed replacing, then id get a second opinion. Are you sure the rattle is coming from there? How much milage?

Chain cannot be adjusted. You can tell if your chain is bad if there is a rattling sound around the lower front of the engine. Listen with a piece of tubing held against the timing chain cover to verify. Be careful not to get into the fan! In addition to the chain itself, the chain tensioner on the 2.5 is more complex than on the 4.0 and will make a noise if it disintegrates.

Leek, are you looking for instructions on how to do the work yourself? This is not a technically difficult job but requires time and patience. If you can change out a water pump, you can do the chain.

Personally, I wouldn't try it without a manual of some kind. I did the job four years ago on my '85 2.5 with just a Haynes, but that was with a 1989 Haynes when they were actually useful with good pictures and diagrams. If you are going to attempt this, I could possibly email you copies of the pertinent pages unless someone comes up with a better way to get the info to you.

Several other thoughts come to mind but let us know what you are planning to do.

Chain cannot be adjusted. You can tell if your chain is bad if there is a rattling sound around the lower front of the engine. Listen with a piece of tubing held against the timing chain cover to verify. Be careful not to get into the fan! In addition to the chain itself, the chain tensioner on the 2.5 is more complex than on the 4.0 and will make a noise if it disintegrates.

Leek, are you looking for instructions on how to do the work yourself? This is not a technically difficult job but requires time and patience. If you can change out a water pump, you can do the chain.

Personally, I wouldn't try it without a manual of some kind. I did the job four years ago on my '85 2.5 with just a Haynes, but that was with a 1989 Haynes when they were actually useful with good pictures and diagrams. If you are going to attempt this, I could possibly email you copies of the pertinent pages unless someone comes up with a better way to get the info to you.

Several other thoughts come to mind but let us know what you are planning to do.

I've no trouble with your wanting to help, and I'm not sure what the information availability would be in Estonia - but I'd appreciate it if you were to take discussion of actually sending him manual goodies backchannel before I had to get involved. It's a lot easier on everyone that way...

What are you talking about? Postings related to FSMs? I'm neither posting FSMs nor offering to send any content from FSMs. In point of fact I am not offering to post anything on the forum. I have a 20 year old book that I doubt seriously is still in print and I am offering to send a copy of perhaps eight pages or so to someone in Estonia. Quite frankly I don't think anyone is going to sue me over that and sure enough not going to sue NAXJA. The second point of fact is that no one will ever know if I indeed actually send any content to anyone.

Having said that, if you want to "get involved", it is fine with me. You are quite welcome to delete my post or take any other appropriate action that reflects the seriousness of the situation...

What are you talking about? Postings related to FSMs? I'm neither posting FSMs nor offering to send any content from FSMs. In point of fact I am not offering to post anything on the forum. I have a 20 year old book that I doubt seriously is still in print and I am offering to send a copy of perhaps eight pages or so to someone in Estonia. Quite frankly I don't think anyone is going to sue me over that and sure enough not going to sue NAXJA. The second point of fact is that no one will ever know if I indeed actually send any content to anyone.

Having said that, if you want to "get involved", it is fine with me. You are quite welcome to delete my post or take any other appropriate action that reflects the seriousness of the situation...

Slow down! I wasn't telling you that I'd have to clobber anything, I just wanted to let you know you were going to wander into a grey area, and I thought you should know about it...

I certainly have no objection to your helping our Estonian friend out - far from it! I just wanted to make sure you weren't going to wander into anything that might cause trouble for us all - it's a fine line, and the only people doing truly well right now are the lawyers in bankruptcy hearings, civil lawsuits, and various legal matters that could raise money for corporations (after all, the economy is down!)

I certainly hadn't meant for you to take it so strongly, so just calm down and we'll all play together, OK?:sunshine:

thanks to all who responded and especially helpful was the message sent to a link, where a great deal of material.
I changed timing chain, 6 hours of time spent

Back