• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel base

Uni

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

Can anyone tell me what the wheel base on a 91 XJ is?
I just put some adjustable arms and wanna set the wheelbase before I go messing with the alignment angles.

And does anyone have any pics of Home-made steering box braces? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Depending on your lift and tire size you may not want to lengthen them at all.It could cause the tires to rub on the front!

Uni said:
Hello all,

Can anyone tell me what the wheel base on a 91 XJ is?
I just put some adjustable arms and wanna set the wheelbase before I go messing with the alignment angles.

And does anyone have any pics of Home-made steering box braces? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Depending on how high you are lifted you won't want to worry about wheelbase. It won't matter in your alignment. It is best to figure out where your tire is going to be at full stuff rather than the stock wheelbase numbers. Most 5" kits bring the wheelbase down to around 100" give or take.

You might want to search about steering box braces, I for one think they do more damage than good on XJs.

mark
orgs mfg

Won't your coils begin to look like slinkys if you start lengthening those CAs? I'm not saying run stock length CA's, but stock wheelbase and adj. CAs for caster, but to set caster and the adjust for example to a 105" wheelbase I don't think would work...know what I mean here or am I crazy?

The shorter your CA's are and also the steeper the angle they are at will determine whether or not you will want to adjust your wheelbase back to the stock 101.5" or not.

The more angle the CA's sit at, the more they will push the axles forward when the suspension compresses. This will cause the aforementioned rubbing on the front of the wheel wells. Shorter arms sit at steeper angles with an equal amount of lift than do long arm kits.

Also, CA drop brackets, like the trailmaster or RubiconExpress pieces, will take alot of the angle out of your control arms. The flatter angle they are at, the more you should adjust your wheelbase toward 101.5".

Just my two cents...

Jared

Back