• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much is too much for a set of leather seats.

LazersGoPEWPEW

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking for leather seats for my 01 XJ and I finally found a set for 360 shipped to my door. No rips but a little worn. They came out of a 97 so they are a light grey color. I've had opinions that said that was too much money.

I can't find these things anywhere locally though. The bench seat is the real hard find since finding grand cherokee seats is easy.

The drivers side is power. Is that difficult to wire in. Sounds straight forward to me.

Let me know. I don't want the deal to slip by me.

Sorry to state the obvious, but they're worth whatever you're willing to pay. Those who say it's too much should suggest a cheaper source. What's the chance you come across another set if you pass this one up?

Do you have power seats now?

You may wish to see how much getting your existing seats recovered would cost.

To get my highbacks covered will cost more than this. I want ADJUSTABLE HEADRESTS IM PULLing THE TRIGGER! Thanks man.

I bought them. They don't look bad.

!BSR2nJw!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKjEEjlLm(s8hBKCZ)VF+4w~~_1.JPG

Last edited:
If the seat controls are built in to the base of the seat, wiring in will be easy. If the controls are in the door handle, more difficult. Another option would be to have the bench recovered in leather and pick up GC fronts which you say are easy. I assume you have checked ebay and craigslist for comparison? $360 does not sound like a super bargain, but how much time do you want to spend looking for another set? And then, maybe it isn't that bad at all???

See you did the deed while I was typing. Hope it works out well for you!

Well other sets that I've seen on ebay out of GCs were like 600 dollars.

The set was only 175. The shipping was 189.

And I've been looking since March for a complete set and haven't even found a set. Getting catzkins was like 700 bucks.

I found a few hits on some adjustable seats with the headrests and such but they were more than this set comparatively. I think I'm getting a reasonable deal.

It's no super bargain but it will make the nice woodgrain panel that I purchased on the cheap look a lot better. I just hope the light grey of the seats won't look cheesy in the jeep.

I think once they're in and you stand back to admire it, you say to yourself, "dang, those look good!!"

my power leathers out of the JY were only $35 for all the seats - and they are nearly perfect and I love them!

Lucky dog. I wish I could find stuff for that cheap around here. I just don't have the patience or time to go searching. The junkyards around here suck.

Does anyone know if you can convert a power seat to a manual seat with a little work?

You need to get a manual seat base. Do you have manual seats now?

Keep in mind that Grand seats are CLOSE, but not bolt-in. My son scored '95 Grand buckets for his '96 XJ. We had to swap bases- they were easy to swap. But he lost the six way power bases, not a big deal. I was led to believe they were bolt in. but there are two of the legs would need to be cut off and re-welded. Looks like you got a good deal!

Keep in mind that Grand seats are CLOSE, but not bolt-in. My son scored '95 Grand buckets for his '96 XJ. We had to swap bases- they were easy to swap. But he lost the six way power bases, not a big deal. I was led to believe they were bolt in. but there are two of the legs would need to be cut off and re-welded. Looks like you got a good deal!

If this is feasable, than ask your son to take his camera, post some illustrative modification pics. and put down some words of the job.

What about the Grand Cherokee back bench. May that also be modified to fit in XJ?

Last edited:
If this is feasable, than ask your son to take his camera, post some illustrative modification pics. and put down some words of the job.

What about the Grand Cherokee back bench. May that also be modified to fit in XJ?

Yeah you can make it work. BIGSLVRXJ put some WJ seats up front in his DD and got a bench out of a late 80's(i think thats what he told me) XJ with leather for the rear and they match up fairly well. You have to do some trimming to the plastic bottom on the WJ rear seat to make that work.

:spin1:
I bought last year some very nice electrical leather seats incl rear bench with neck rest from an 98XJ This came from UK(England) for just 120 US$. Sea freigh costed somewhat the same. Now why UK ?....well, there are tons of XJ over there and high gas prices trowing them out on the marked for nothing. Lots of dealers who rather strip them. Second, front passenger seat is close to un-used. (remember they have RHD so passenger seat in UK will become driver seat in US).
No problem with installation...it is bolt on.

Freight time 4-5 weeks to US by sea.

Where I bought the seats, ask for John
[email protected]
Ebay store: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQ_...id=m270&_odkw=jeep+cherokee+braking&_osacat=0

Last edited:
thats not a bad price, considering one seat is $200 for my '00 WJ, thats in good condition though. but still thats pretty steep for one seat and its not even leather. the yardds around here don't really have a selection of '00 WJ's so i gotta take what i can get.

You need to get a manual seat base. Do you have manual seats now?

I sure do have a manual seat base. I'm really not a big fan of power chairs and the plastic that will cover the seat base isn't going to match if I keep it power. Plus I just like manual more. One less thing to break.

From what I can tell from the parts guides, the seats themselves have the same part numbers. The bases do not but they should swap over easily.

There may be a few holes in the cushion's side when you remove the switch panel.

Back