• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building Rock Rails

desertfox1023

NAXJA Forum User
So I got all my stuff together now to build my rock rails except for one issue.

How am I going to mount them?

My original plan was to do an L bracket out of 3/16" steel around the uni body and do 4 bolts in the side and 2 from the bottom. However the fuel lines run along the drive side of the jeep which keeps me from running a bolt all the way through the frame. What is the solution to this problem:

1) I was thinking a shorter bolt possibly, however how would I put the nut on the back of the bolt and tighten down the bolts with it being inside the frame rail.

2) Use self tapping bolts, but where can I get those?

3) I thought about just welding them to uni-body, but would rather have them bolt on encase I want to change something about them down the road.

How has everyone else mounted theirs? Links and pics are most appreciated.

You can go to almost any manufacture site and read the install instructions (works for ideas).

I used a number of 1/4" grade 8 bolts at the pinch seam, and some 5/16" grade 8 bolts at the frame. I drilled and tapped the frame for the bolts.

Most store bought rock rails use self tapping screws for the frame rail mounts and nuts and bolts at the pinch seam. I get mine at the local hardware store.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
The set I built looks like Tim_MN's but I put the angle up on the inside of the pinch seam so the "L" of the angle fits in the "L" made by the pinch seam and the floor board. I think it adds a little more strength that way because the angle can't really flex anywhere.

Ight so the plan is to do some grade 8 3/8" bolts. 12 bolts per side. Doing the L bracket design I'll do 4 on the side and 2 from the bottom. So what size hole do I need to drill to tap the frame so I can screw in the bolts? Or am I going at this all wrong? I'm not a 100% sure on how to tap the frame so I can just bolt on the bolts with out there being a nut on the other side. Also should I use a washer and a lock nut when I go to bolt the rock rails on?

Just get some 3/8" self tapping bolts. Theyre rated at around what grade 8 hex bolts are. I looked them up before I ordered mine. Id suggest a 21/64" or 11/32.

And some 1/4" hex bolts and nylock nuts will work well on the pinch seam. I put 4 in mine. Thye work great.

Self tapping bolts should work fine. You can order them online, or any hardware supplier should be able to get them.

Not trying to hijack, but What's the metal going to cost you, or did you have it laying around? I used to try and build everything, but sometimes I can get finished products for the same it costs to buy steel.

I paid 25 bucks for 15 foot of 1.25" square tubing that's 1/8" thick. Then 40 for a 37" x 48" piece of steel plate that was 3/16" thick.

So far I've got everything cut out and ready to be welded together. I'm currently in the process of drilling the 24 holes into the frame that will hold the rock rails on.

Here's us cuttin the rails:
picture.php

I have the end's of the rails cut at a 45 degree angle so it has some curb appeal to it.

Here's the brackets cut out and welded:
picture.php

There's 2 for each side. There mounted with 4 3/8" bolts on the side and 2 on the bottom so I think this should be plenty strong.

I'm not using the pinch seam as a mounting surface. I believe it should hold together just fine though having 12 grade 8 bolts on each side of this thing.

I'll post up some final pics after I get it all done and painted later this week.

Well the rock rails are built! Just need a little paint on them and then they'll be ready to get some beauty marks put on them :thumbsup:

picture.php

picture.php

(As for the first pic, That's my buddy tyler tacking them in place. So before someone post up about welding while on the jeep, we were just making sure they where in the right spot without test fitting 15 times.)

kudos on a dang good priced homebrew setup!

I paid 25 bucks for 15 foot of 1.25" square tubing that's 1/8" thick. Then 40 for a 37" x 48" piece of steel plate that was 3/16" thick.

So far I've got everything cut out and ready to be welded together. I'm currently in the process of drilling the 24 holes into the frame that will hold the rock rails on.

Here's us cuttin the rails:
picture.php

I have the end's of the rails cut at a 45 degree angle so it has some curb appeal to it.

Here's the brackets cut out and welded:
picture.php

There's 2 for each side. There mounted with 4 3/8" bolts on the side and 2 on the bottom so I think this should be plenty strong.

I'm not using the pinch seam as a mounting surface. I believe it should hold together just fine though having 12 grade 8 bolts on each side of this thing.

I'll post up some final pics after I get it all done and painted later this week.

Firefighter?

The L bracket design along with 12 bolts to the frame on each side. It's not being used as a step up rail so I think it will be fine. If something does happen though I'll fix it up with one.
Stepping on it isnt the issue,if you wait youll be fixing alot more than the rails!!

Didn't get a picture of the mounting, Used 8 3/8 self tapping bolts for the legs and a piece of 1x1 angle for the pinch seem

slide3.jpg

slide1.jpg

slide2.jpg

Back