• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't run after lift

gone postal

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished installing a 6" lift on my brother's XJ. During the install, I had to replace the driver's front hard brake line (unrelated to lift), so I removed the intake hose for more hand room and accidentally knocked off the front vacuum line while turning the wrench (it's a 2000, so there are 3 in a row on the side of the intake manifold).

Anyway, during the test drive we thought we heard a strange noise so we pulled over - the XJ died. My brother restarted it and it died instantly - it won't idle w/out throttle. I figured it had to be vacuum related, so I disconnected that front vacuum line and the Jeep instantly idled perfect (I'm sure any line would've helped, it's just that that one is easy to reach and also the only thing that was messed w/ on the engine during the install, so I pegged it as suspect).

So, it's more like a vacuum clog I guess - doesn't seem to be pulling enough air. I have no idea what those lines on the side of the manifold go to - going to bed now, so I didn't trace them. Nothing else was messed with, we didn't clog a line, break a line, etc, so I have no idea why this issue pops up now. Is there anything regarding a lift that can affect the intake system? Are these lines run somewhere to the suspension and now pinched, etc?

All of your air lines need to be increased in diameter due to less dense atmosphere of intake air. If you feel faint yourself, you may need to look into a oxygen replacement system. It might be able to compensate if you added a reverse snorkle to pick up denser air closer to the ground. Just make sure to have a flapper valve on it for when you go through puddles.

All of your air lines need to be increased in diameter due to less dense atmosphere of intake air. If you feel faint yourself, you may need to look into a oxygen replacement system. It might be able to compensate if you added a reverse snorkle to pick up denser air closer to the ground. Just make sure to have a flapper valve on it for when you go through puddles.

What the hell are you talking abouty?

:yelclap::yelclap::yelclap:very nice^

I can't think of anything on a 2000 that would put vacuum lines under the chassis to get pinched during a lift. If you removed a vacuum line (creating a leaner mixture) and it smoothed out, I'd look for reasons to be running rich.
My first place to look would be the IAC motor being unplugged or stuck closed.
Second would be increased fuel pressure-- I know the regulator got moved back to the tank in the pump assembly, but I don't think it operates off vacuum any more.

Now you guys caught on! I run down closer to the ground at stock height where the oxygen is denser.

Check vacuum lines going back to charcoal cannister under vehicle. That's no joke. There really is one. And you are correct that the regulator in the tank does nor run off vacuum like the old one was.

Last edited:
Back