• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front right knocks

bert01xj

NAXJA Forum User
when i back up then hit the brakes it knocks then when i go forword and it will knock only when i first start to move. it also steers like i'm in 4wd when the steerwheel is on full turn in reverse. i guess in a ball joint but want some other suggestion.

It could be a bad wheel joint (That U-joint in the axle shaft).

It's easy enough to check ball joints. Grab the top of the tire and push and shove it. If you hear a knock, you have a bad ball joint. Tie rods are the other direction push/pull on sidewalls to find a bad tie rod end.
Wheel joints are harder. If the joint is bad enough, you can check for play, though I have seen them completely seize and only found them when I removed the hub and found that the shaft would not bend at the joint.

It could be a bad wheel joint (That U-joint in the axle shaft).

It's easy enough to check ball joints. Grab the top of the tire and push and shove it. If you hear a knock, you have a bad ball joint. Tie rods are the other direction push/pull on sidewalls to find a bad tie rod end.
Wheel joints are harder. If the joint is bad enough, you can check for play, though I have seen them completely seize and only found them when I removed the hub and found that the shaft would not bend at the joint.

x2

Back