• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd Front End Noise

DIKASUN

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '99 2wd 4.0 Cherokee Sport. After I bought it about 6 months, I noticed some noise and wobble from the front when I applied the brakes . I replaced them about a month ago (rotors and pads). The sound quit for like a week and now it is back with a friend. Now, along with the brake noise there is a clunking that I can hear and feel that matches the speed of the wheels rolling. It does NOT go with the engine speed. It scares me because I have a 90 mile commute to work. Does anybody know what this might be? How can you tell if the wheel bearings are bad?

PS. I have taken both tires and calipers off and the brakes are wearing normal. Also I cannot find any play in the hub movement.

Sounds like tie rod ends (or similar). Lay underneath while someone turns the steering wheel back and forth while you look for free play. Are you sure it couldn't be in the back brakes?

Back