• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Condenser as tranny cooler

Anybody ever use the A/C condenser to cool the tranny fluid after removing the A/C?

Never heard of such a thing but it is interesting!

I asked the same question a while ago, nobody really recommended it because of it being restrictive.

are you talking about the rad type deal in front of the real rad?

if thats the case, I've heard of quite a few people using it as a cooler of some kind.
tranny, power steering, why not?

Problem #2:
If it isn't the restrictive model, and you manage to plumb it up, you are going to over-cool your transmission. Trannies like to be around 150-180 IIRC - and a cooler the size of the condenser is going to keep it too cold, which is almost as bad as it being run too hot.
Go with a Ford Explorer unit form the junkyard, or just about any 6x12 tube & fin unit.

Problem #2:
If it isn't the restrictive model, and you manage to plumb it up, you are going to over-cool your transmission. Trannies like to be around 150-180 IIRC - and a cooler the size of the condenser is going to keep it too cold, which is almost as bad as it being run too hot.
Go with a Ford Explorer unit form the junkyard, or just about any 6x12 tube & fin unit.
Well, I live in a warm climate and no matter what cooler I use it will never run lower than ambient temp so I am not worried about overcooling. I am more concerned that it will make the air going into the radiator too warm and lessen the effectiveness of the radiator. I am not sure if I even want to give up my A/C at this point so I am just getting some opinions. Thanks

Well, I live in a warm climate and no matter what cooler I use it will never run lower than ambient temp so I am not worried about overcooling. I am more concerned that it will make the air going into the radiator too warm and lessen the effectiveness of the radiator. I am not sure if I even want to give up my A/C at this point so I am just getting some opinions. Thanks

your ambient temps run 150deg? That must suck.

Not worth it. Just buy a small unit, or get the nice one from an exploader.

How do you plumb up an engine oil cooler, anyway? I can picture a return line going to the pan no problem, but where do you tap in for a flowing to-cooler line?

buy a remote filter kit for your cherokee and plumb it in that way plus you can put your filter in a better location!

mrg-7682_w.jpg

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...0+4294908279+115+4294840046&Ntk=KeywordSearch

I got my kit from advance auto, it did not remote mount the filter, just raised it up and sent the oil to a cooler before returning it to the pan. looked like that kit a little though.

I got my kit from advance auto, it did not remote mount the filter, just raised it up and sent the oil to a cooler before returning it to the pan. looked like that kit a little though.

And how did it work? Did you notice the engine cooled any easier?

stays cool all day long, unless I sit at multiple lights in a row on a very hot day. I am not running any fans at the moment. The Stroker is a secondary vehicle and I drive it for fun. Still trying to find time to install the taurus fan.

But yes, with the cooler in and an extra quart of oil I could tell a difference from the normal setup.

my buddy runs a big rig style oil cooler in his stroked XJ - it actually holds 12 quarts of oil total now since it pumps back to the cargo area to the cooler which has an electric fan on it - its a bit overkill but he got the whole setup for 200 bucks so it was a killer deal - he has several petcocks to drain it throughout the system so that he can get as much of the dirty oil out as he can ... the roof is cut off on his rig so its not a regular type setup anymore

Rather than start a new thread, I'll just tack on.

I was also considering using the condenser as a cooler of some sorts. Is it useful for anything, or should I just yank it?

I bought a wrecked 98 XJ that I'm going to be trimming the doors on and probably removing most of the glass. At this point, AC is pointless.

Back