• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front D30 Carrier.....

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
I am trying to remove the carrier out of a front axle for someone. The axle is out of the xj and on the ground. Tried to pull the bearing caps and spiders but the ring gear interfears with the cross pin. Any sugestions on how to get this carrier out? The hub nuts will not budge. I have tried a 4' breaker bar on them and only succeded in bending a tire iron. Any advise would be appreciated.

You don't have to pull the cross pin to get the carrier out. You DO need to pull the axles, though. Use copious amounts of PB Blaster on the hub nuts or whatever you need to do, but the carrier's not moving until the axles are out of there.:eek:

Kinda figured that but I thotght`@ might get thephing to sn`ke npt vithvt the piders in there but the ring gear is in the way. PB Blaster is being used.

You mentioned hub nuts... are you talking the large 36mm nuts? If so, you don't have to remove those to get the shafts out. You do have to remove the three bolts holding each hub to the outer steering knuckle. Once removed the hub and shaft will slide out of the axle as a unit.

Oh sweet. I did not think of that!

Well that did not work! They will not break away form the outers. I even tried to hammer them out with a screwdriver through the mount holes. ANy more suggestions? I think I'm going to mount a tire on it and get a 6' breaker bar and have some one hold the tire. LOL! :)

Get yourself some sacrificial bolts the same size as the hub bolts. Remove the old 13mm 12pt bolts and thread in the sacrificials. Pound the snot out of them with a sledgehammer.

NotoriousDUG has a way that might help if the XJ runs. Run LONG sacrificial bolts into the hub, and use the power steering to turn them against the C to force the hub out. Caveat! I, personally, have not done this, but to me it sounds somewhat reasonable as a last resort.

Edit: never mind the second way, I'd forgotten it's out of the vehicle. See #1, and you should be able to get a GOOD swing at the lowers.

Back