• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Compression test tools

Glad you asked before you bought. Don't get that one. You need one that screws in to the spark plug holes firmly. To be safe, you should double check the threads on our spark plugs on the Champion site and then make sure that the tester you order has the right threads included. My Craftsman tester has two or three threads built into the end in steps. It has fit everything I tried to test so far. I recently read a thread on here from a guy who thought his compression was bad when he used a tester with the rubber cone that "fits all". He had crazy low numbers all over the board. Later posted that he got his hands on a good tester and was AOK.

Coolant pressure testers cost more. Most fit on at the radiator cap. Do you have the open system with the conventional cap, or the earlier closed system? You might want to rent, or like my local Murrays, you buy it, use it and return it for full refund.

Actually, a Leak-down tester is the best at actually telling you what the real problem is.

Bdiddy11, I live in Boise too. If you need help PM me.

I would get a "screw in" type tester as well. That way you can do the test solo.

Back