• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2005 TJ 4.0l in an 87 XJ

Mike1331

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I did some searching and I only found one thread pertaining to one close, but they used an nv 3550. I have an aw4. Will I need to adapt anything on my bell housing? I know I have to use the 05 water pump; I’m going to use my rebuilt 95 cyl. Head if the piston slap I have hasn’t destroyed any of the valves. I know I have to adapt the motor mounts but need to use the beefy mounts (I forgot the company) that utilizes all 6-7 holes on each side of the block to accommodate my high speed lifestyle. Has anybody tried this (05 block to a renix body) with the aftermarket motor mounts? I further know I have to drill and tap for the knock sensor, and cts. I plan to put all the 87 electronics on it. i.e. distributor, intake with egr, ac, power steering, fuel rail, fpr and a set of nice headers with a bung for the egr as I’m still in Cali. Should I use my 95 or 87 injectors?

Thanks, to all for any help.

I had a '98 motor in my '89, with the stock AW4. Motor mounts were the same. Mountain Offroad Enterprises (M.O.R.E.) is the place that makes the beefy motor mounts. Mine wasn't smog legal, so it used the '98 intake with an adapter for the Renix TB, and no EGR. It was done in Utah, when I brought it to CA I made a buggy out of it, so no smog concerns.

Yeah i know the 98's will work no problem but i read on here that they changed the motor mount posistions in 2000 or 2002. I don't have a problem with adapting and re-wleding the MORE mounts. I was just seing what it would entale, if anybody else has done it and what other problems people ran into with a block this new in an xj that old.

I dunno yet. I'm building a stroker for my 96 XJ with a block from a 99 WJ. I know the mounts are different, but I haven't had a chance to see if the old mounts will still work...

I dunno yet. I'm building a stroker for my 96 XJ with a block from a 99 WJ. I know the mounts are different, but I haven't had a chance to see if the old mounts will still work...

Take a look at the XJ vs WJ water pump and oil filter mounting.. you may have some issues there.

damn i hadn't even thought about the oil filter. My block will actually be out of an 02 tj. I don't think there's any difference from the 05 but... Oh and i do know that i need the water pump from the new engine as it has different mounting points and a higher flow impeller similar to that of hesco's.

Talk to Bennie @ Hesco. I looked into this awhile back for my 96. The mounting holes for EVERYTHING on the newer block (I forgot exact year - 01 and up IIRC) are different. The newer block has the bosses for the older mounts, but you would have to do ALOT of drilling and tapping for them to work. Good luck.

Yeah i think i'm just going to have to fork over the cash and pay either t and J's or M.O.R.E to fab me up a set of their beefy mounts that will work with a newer block in a renix xj.

Talk to Bennie @ Hesco. I looked into this awhile back for my 96. The mounting holes for EVERYTHING on the newer block (I forgot exact year - 01 and up IIRC) are different. The newer block has the bosses for the older mounts, but you would have to do ALOT of drilling and tapping for them to work. Good luck.

By everything do you mean bellhousing? oil filter ac braketry? I am using a head from a 95 which has the same mounting points as my 87 for the accessories. Can you re-iterate on everything? That was a little un-nerving.

By everything do you mean bellhousing? oil filter ac braketry? I am using a head from a 95 which has the same mounting points as my 87 for the accessories. Can you re-iterate on everything? That was a little un-nerving.

I was looking for something better than this:
http://forums.jpmagazine.com/70/7177810/jeep-engine/40-block-differences-40-gurus-needed/index.html
All of the accessory bolt holes are different, you can drill and tap the block to mount all of your accessories because the block has the bosses but they are not drilled an tapped. I figured there were so many that needed to be drilled and tapped and if you drilled any of them off center than good luck getting it all to line up.

Call Bennie at Hesco and he will explain the differences. I talked to him about 3 years ago about this and decided to pass because of what he said.

Damn, screw that noise. I'm not going to purchase something that will cuase that much hassle. Thanks for the respnse guys. I'll delve a little deeper just to cure my own curriosity, but this has pretty much convinced me that a block this new isn't worth the hassle.

Back