• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure circuit tied into anything other than the gauge?

urbexx

NAXJA Forum User
'91 XJ/4.0L/AW4. I don't have my wiring diagrams handy (they're at home, I'm not), and was going to pick up an Autometer oil pressure gauge today to replace the stocker. Can I just replace the stock sender with the Autometer, or does the factory sender feed another circuit as well? I've had vehicles in the past that use the oil pressure signal to close/open the fuel pump relay as well.

'91 XJ/4.0L/AW4. I don't have my wiring diagrams handy (they're at home, I'm not), and was going to pick up an Autometer oil pressure gauge today to replace the stocker. Can I just replace the stock sender with the Autometer, or does the factory sender feed another circuit as well? I've had vehicles in the past that use the oil pressure signal to close/open the fuel pump relay as well.

It should not, but there's an easy way to make sure - plumb it in with a 1/8" NPT T-fitting. Pressure doesn't require free flow, it simply requires contact. I did something similar when I put in my "test port" - allows me to plug in a mechanical test gage without having to disconnect anything.

Pressure doesn't require free flow, it simply requires contact.

True, but I was hoping to be able to remove the factory sender as well, just to keep things as clean as possible under the hood. I just really don't like having any extra wires or hoses I'm not using just taking up space.

Back