• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange ECU question

Dell_dude

NAXJA Forum User
Went to the dealer recently to get a couple remote entry fobs programmed and the dealer said that they couldn't get my ECU into program mode to do it.

The weird part is that they said they looked at the history of my XJ and that it was originally sold to the Fed government.

Is it possible that there is a special flash on it for the gvmt that only they could get into?

It seems like that wouldn't be the case, but the dealer couldn't answer that question.

The Jeep runs fine except that it is throwing a code. I'm thinking the ECU needs to be replaced, but I don't want to do it if it's not going to improve the situation.

BTW, if I replace the ECU, it will be a reman unit from www.autocomputerexchange.com since the dealer wants close to $700 for a brand new one (said reman isn't an option for them at the moment).

Any one have any insight?

Thanks

I would do that, except that from what I've read, if the ECU didn't come from a vehicle that had every feature yours had, some things may not work (like cruise control or something).

I just want to be sure I'm not losing anything in the process, or, spending money on a cheap one, then having to buy a reman anyway.

E bay or craigslist. I almost scored one that was mis-listed and went for $37. Forgot to shark in on it at the last minute. Just get one from your same year. Also they are different for CA emission package or not.

Back